- [To Rob, immediately prior to the monster's arrival] You gotta learn to say, 'Forget the world,' and hold on to the people you love most.
- Beth McIntire is from a whole 'nother planet, bro. I mean, she's beautiful, she's charming. As for you, I mean, I love you and all but let's face it; you're kind of a douche-bag.
- My name is Robert Hawkins. It is 6:42 AM, on Saturday May 23rd. Approximately seven hours ago, uh, some thing attacked the city. I don't know what it is. Um, if you found this tape, I mean if you're watching this, then you probably know more about it than I do. Uh, whatever this thing is, it killed my brother, uh, Jason Hawkins, it killed my best friend Hudson Platt and Marlena Diamond, and many many others. Um, we've taken shelter under this bridge. The military has begun bombing the creature, and we're caught in the middle.
- Maybe you should have left town a bit earlier, man.
- Rob, it is time to leave the electronics store.
- Beth lives in Midtown. All right? Midtown is that way. Guess what else is that way! Some horrific shit is in Midtown!
- [repeated line] I'm documenting.
- [pointing the camera at himself as he prepares to cross a treacherous rooftop] If this is the last thing you see, that means I died.
- No one ever listens to me, now they are- we're all gonna die....
- (with Marlena and Lily, trying to get Rob to stop) One of us is gonna have to tackle you and that's gonna be very uncomfortable for everyone involved!
- Party Guest: How're you going to survive without Rob, he's like your "main dude".
- Hud: I don't know. [turns to Rob] Hey, how am I going to survive without you?
- Rob: I don't know, I'm like your "main dude".
- Rob: Still filming?
- Hud: Yeah, people are gonna want to know... how it all went down.
- Rob: Well, you can just tell them how it all went down, Hud.
- Hud: No, that wouldn't work. People need to see this, you know? It's gonna be important. People are going to watch this.
- Hud: Okay, just to be clear here, our options are: die here, die in the tunnels, or die in the streets. That pretty much it?
- Rob: Yeah... that's pretty much it.
[The group is passing through a pitch-black subway tunnel on foot]
- Hud: Do you guys remember a couple of years ago when that guy was lighting homeless people on fire in the subways?
- Rob: Jesus, Hud! Maybe not the best time for this conversation down here.
- Hud: Right.
- Hud: ...I just can't stop thinking how scary it'd be if a flaming homeless guy came running—
- All: HUD!
- Hud: I'm just saying. Sorry.
- Lily: Rob and Beth slept together.
- Hud: Are you serious?
- Lily: Yeah, a few weeks ago. Beth made me promise not to say anything.
- Jason: Are you kidding me Lily? Rob and Beth sleeping together and your not even going to tell me that?
- Hud: Why would't you tell me?
- Lily: [long pause] Why wouldn't I tell you?
- Lily: Robert Hawkins, I can't believe you're leaving me to look after your brother by myself!
- Jason: Oh! Easy, easy. I mean I'm obviously standing right here.
- Lily: And I know I'm not officially family... yet...
- Jason: Not fair.
- Hud: [to Lily] Dude... I'll cut him out later.
- Lily: But I think of you as my brother, and I hope you think of me as your sister.
- Rob: Listen, we need your help. Our friend, she's hurt, she's trapped in her building right by here. Colonmbus Circle?
- Marine: That is not where you want to be right now.
- Lily: Do you guys know what it is, out there? Do you know what that thing is?
- Marine: There ain't nobody telling me. Whatever it is, it's winning.
[After finding that Beth's apartment building is leaning against another building, the group discusses how to reach her]
- Hud: Please tell me she lives on the ground floor.
- Rob: 39th.
- Hud: Shit.
- Lily: How are we going to get up there?
- Rob: I don't know; we'll just go inside and see how high up we can get.
- Lily: I don't know if I can do that.
- Hud: Well, maybe we can try going up the other building and see if there is a place to cross over on the roof, and then we can find some way down to her place.
[Rob considers, then begins running towards the building. Lily follows.]
- Hud: Wait! No, never mind! No, that's a bad idea! Hey! That's a bad idea, I take that back!
- Rob: I keep thinking that the last thing I said to her was, "Good luck tonight, Travis."
- Lily: I know. I keep thinking about the last thing I said to Jason.
- Rob: That was different.
- Lily: Why?
- Rob: Because... Jason knew that you loved him.
- Hud: [running up a staircase] How could they not know anything about it? Unless—maybe they're like, in on it, you know? Like maybe the government created it or something.
- Rob: Do we have to talk about this now, Hud?
- Hud: Well, I need to talk about something, because if I don't I'm going to actually shit my pants in this stairwell.
- Beth: Rob?
- Rob: Yeah?
- Beth: You came back for me.
- Rob: Of course I came back for you. I'm sorry it took me so long.
- Beth: It's okay.
- Beth: [sees monster stomping down the street towards them as they cross a rooftop] What is that?!
- Hud: It's a terrible thing.
[Later, while trying to pass down a flight of stairs, Rob encounters a parasite and impales it with a fire ax]
- Beth: What the hell was that?
- Hud: I don't know! Something else, also terrible!
- Hud: Ocean is big, dude. All I'm saying is a couple of years ago, they found a fish in Madagascar that they thought been extinct for centuries
- Rob: So what? Its been down here all this time and nobody noticed?
- Hud: Sure. Maybe it erupted from an ocean trench, you know? Or a crevasse. Crevice. It's just a theory. I mean, for all we know, it's from another planet and it flew here.
- Marlena: Like Superman?
- Hud: Yeah, exactly like... Wait. You know who Superman is?
- Marlena: Oh, my God. You know who Superman is?
- Hud: Okay, I'm not...
- Marlena: [sarastically] I'm, like, feeling something. Are you aware of Garfield?
[As the bridge collapses on Beth and Rob]
- Rob: Look at me! Look at me! Look at me. I love you!
- Beth: I love you!
[There is an explosion, and the camera cuts off]
[Cuts to the rest of the footage from Rob & Beth's Coney Island trip and they are on the Ferris Wheel together.]
- Rob: We got like three seconds left. What do you want to say? What do you want to say? Last thing to the cam.
- Beth: [smiling] I had a good day.
[The camera shuts off]
- Official site (requires Adobe Flash Player)
- Cloverfield quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Cloverfield at Rotten Tomatoes
- Cloverfield at Metacritic
- Something has found us
- Run. Fast.