Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (film)
2009 animated film by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord
- Directed and written by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, based on the novel by Judi Barret and Ron Barrett.
Prepare to get served
- [first lines; narrating] Have you ever felt like you were a little bit different, like you had something unique to offer the world if you could just get people to see it? Then you know exactly how it felt... to be... me.
- [narrating] I wanted to run away that day… but you can't run away from your own feet.
- It's okay, it's just pain.
- Come on, Steve. We've got a diem to carpe!
- Flint, this is amazing! And designing the ice cream to accumulate into scoops? I don't know how you're gonna top this!
- Thanks, Saint Patrick. Okay, everyone, you're not going to believe this one, but I'm standing in the middle of a burger rain. You can have seen a meteor shower, but you have never seen a shower "meatier" than this. For a town stuck eating sardines, this is totally made out from heaven.
- My forecast? Sunny... side up.
- Hey! This mess we're in is all our faults. Me, I didn't even protect my own son. Look, I'm as mad at Flint as you are. In fact, when he gets out of that car, I'm gonna slap him in the face! I know Flint Lockwood made the food, but it was made to order, and now it's time for all of us to pay the bill.
- My chest hairs are tingling. Something's wrong.
- [repeated line] Uh, oh!
- [running while carrying a pair of giant scissors] I really shouldn't be running with these!
- I'm not Baby Brent anymore. I'm Chicken Brent, and I'm finally contributing to society!
- Oh, I don't know, I think they're kinda cute. I mean, this one just walked right up to me and– [Suddenly, a chicken eats Brent alive; Brent shrieked in terror] HE'S GOT ME!!
- Yikes! What is that, a scrunchie? I haven't seen one of those since 1995.
- Sam Sparks: This food weather was created intentionally by meek-ish backyard tinkerer Flint Lockwood.
- Officer Earl Devereaux: [shocked] Flint Lockwood!?
- Flint Lockwood: [nervously] Hi…
- Earl: [tackles Flint in anger] YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR RUINING SARDINE LAND!!
- Earl: You see this contact lens, Flint Lockwood?
- Flint: Mm-hmm.
- Earl: This contact lens represents you!
- Flint: All right.
- Earl: And my eye represents my eye!
- Flint: Okay.
- Earl: [puts on the contact lens] I've got my eye on... you.
- Flint: Oh, my gosh! A jaywalker.
- Earl: Hey!
- Flint: I've never actually been in a snowball fight.
- Sam: Really?
- Flint: I don't even know the rules. Is there like a point system or is it... to the death?
- Sam: No. You never...? I mean, look, even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs. Oh, ew.
- Sam: A town that is truly a la mode.
- French Weather Reporter: ...A la mode. [translation: ""]
- Arabic Weather Reporter: ...A la mode. [translation: ""]
- British Weather Reporter: A town that is truly topped with ice cream.
- Sam: Can you keep a secret?
- Flint: No. [awkward pause] But this time, sure. Yeah.
- Sam: [sighs] Okay. It was a really long time ago, but I too was... a nerd.
- Flint: [blankly] "Too"?
- Sam: When I was a little girl, I wear a ponytail and glasses, and I was totally obsessed with the science of weather.
- Sam: We need a doctor! Is anyone here a doctor? Anyone?
- Manny: I am a doctor.
- Sam: You are?
- Manny: I was, back in Guatemala. I came here for a better life. Pretty great decision, eh?
- Manny: You are going to need a co-pilot.
- Sam: You are a pilot, too?
- Manny: Yes. I am also a particle physicist.
- Sam: Really?
- Manny: No, that was a joke. I am also a comedian. [Flint and Sam laugh]
- Flint: [Hanging from a licorice rope held by Sam, who is swelling up from her peanut allergy] Let go, Sam.
- Sam: But you'll be stuck down there forever.
- Flint: It's not ideal, no.
- Sam: Come with us, Flint. We'll live underground, and use bacon for clothes.
- Flint: That's not a very good plan, Sam.
- Sam: It is if I don't have to lose you. Look, I like you, okay?
- Flint: Like... as a friend?
- Sam: No, I mean "like you" like you.
- Flint: Me too. I mean, about you. [bites through rope and drops] Goodbye, Sam.
- Sam: Flint! No!
- Flint: [sees spaghetti tornado] Mamma mia.
- Flint: Sam.
- Sam: Flint.
- Flint: Sam.
- Sam: Flint.
- Tim: Flint.
- Flint: Dad.
- Steve: Steve!
- Tim: [sighs] Look, when you... when you cast your line... if it's not straight, um...
- Sam: Oh, for crying out loud.
- [Sam puts Flint's Monkey Thought Translator on Tim's head]
- Tim: [in a robotic voice] I'm proud of you, Flint. I'm amazed that someone as ordinary as me could be the father of someone as extraordinary as you. You're talented, you're a total original, and your lab is breathtaking. Your mom, she, uh, always knew you were going to be special. And if she were alive today, she'd tell us both: I told you so. Now, uh, look, when I take this thing off, and... you hear me make a fishing metaphor, just know that fishing metaphor means... [Tim takes off the Monkey Translator and speaks in a normal voice] I love my son.
- Flint: I love you too, Dad.
- [the crowd applauds]
- [last lines]
- Shelbourne: This was not well thought out.
About Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (film)Edit
- Phil Lord: For sure it’s influenced by the Muppets. That was a very deliberate thing, because the Muppets are really simple characters, they’re really well-designed, they work great in 3D and they’re really expressive and those are all the things you want in a cartoon. I remember watching “A Bug's Life” and having it click in my head, “Oh, it’s puppets. 3D cartoons, it’s about puppets.”
- Chris Miller: The thing about human characters is in CG, if you make them look too realistic, they get kind of creepy looking, so early on, we definitely knew that we wanted the character designs to have a more cartoony aesthetic so one of the many sources, including the book and classic ’50s and ’60s animation, was the Muppets, and that went across for all the characters, especially Flint and Tim with his monobrow.
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller in "Exclusive: The Directors of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", by Edward Douglas, Comingsoon.net, September 15, 2009.
- Bill Hader - Flint Lockwood: Fran and Tim's son
- Max Neuwirth (young)
- Anna Faris - Sam Sparks: Flint's girlfriend
- James Caan - Tim Lockwood: Flint's dad and Fran's husband
- Andy Samberg - "Baby" Brent
- Bruce Campbell - Mayor Shelbourne
- Bobb'e J. Thompson - Calvin "Cal" Deveraux: Earl and Regina's son
- Mr. T - Officer Earl Devereaux: Cal's dad and Regina's husband
- Benjamin Bratt - Manny
- Neil Patrick Harris - Steve: Flint's pet monkey