Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (film)
2009 animated film
- Directed and written by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, based on the novel by Judi Barret and Ron Barrett.
- [first lines; narrating] Have you ever felt like you were a little bit different? Like you had something unique to offer the world, if you could just get people to see it? Then you know exactly how it felt to be me.
- [narrating] I wanted to run away that day, but you can't run away from your own feet.
- It's okay, it's just pain.
- Come on, Steve. We've got a diem to carpe!
- Look, I'm as mad at Flint as you are. In fact, when he gets out of that car, I'm gonna slap him in the face. I know Flint Lockwood made the food, but it was made-to-order, and now it's time for all of us to pay the bill.
- My chest hairs are tingling. Something's wrong.
- Flint, this is amazing! And designing the ice cream to accumulate into scoops? I don't know how you're gonna top this!
- Thank you, Saint Patrick. Okay, everyone, you're not going to believe this one, but I'm standing in the middle of a burger rain. You can have seen a meteor shower, but you have never seen a shower "meatier" than this. For a town stuck eating sardines, this is totally manna from heaven.
- My forecast? Sunny... -side up.
- [repeated line] Uh, oh!
- [running while carrying a pair of giant scissors] I really shouldn't be running with these!
- I'm not Baby Brent anymore. I'm Chicken Brent! And I'm finally contributing to society!
- Yikes! What is that, a scrunchie? I haven't seen one of those since 1995.
- Earl Devereaux: You see this contact lens, Flint Lockwood?
- Flint Lockwood: Mm-hmm.
- Earl: This contact lens represents you!
- Flint: All right.
- Earl: And my eye represents my eye!
- Flint: Okay.
- Earl: [Puts on contact lens] I've got my eye on... you!
- Flint: Oh, my gosh. A J-walker
- Earl: Hey!
- Flint: I've never actually been in a snowball fight.
- Sam Sparks: Really?
- Flint: I don't even know the rules. Is there like a point system or is it... to the death?
- Sam: No. You never...? I mean, look, even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs. Oh, ew.
- Sam: A town that is truly a la mode.
- French Weather Reporter: ...a la mode.
- Arabic Weather Reporter: ...a la mode.
- English Weather Reporter: A town that is truly topped with ice cream.
- Sam: Can you keep a secret?
- Flint: No. [awkward pause] But this time, sure. Yeah.
- Sam: [sighs] OK. It was a really long time ago, but I too was... a nerd!
- Flint: [blankly] "Too"?
- Sam: When I was a little girl, I wear a ponytail and glasses.
- Sam: We need a doctor! Is anyone here a doctor? Anyone?
- Manny: I am a doctor.
- Sam: You are?
- Manny: I was, back in Guatemala. I came here for a better life. Pretty great decision, eh?
- Manny: You are going to need a co-pilot.
- Sam: You are a pilot, too?
- Manny: Yes. I am also a particle physicist.
- Sam: Really?
- Manny: No, that was a joke. I am also a comedian. [Flint and Sam laugh]
About Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (film)Edit
- Chris Miller: One of the things about it is that there’s a wish fulfillment element of the book but then the second half of the book gets pretty crazy with pickles smashing into buildings and everyone has to evacuate. It actually plays kind of like a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.
- Phil Lord: Yeah, when Sony decided to have an animation wing, they commissioned someone to figure out what are the top 10 unproduced kids’ books were. “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” was #1. “Okay, let’s get it.”
- Chris Miller: It was their first acquisition as a studio.
- Phil Lord: For sure it’s influenced by the Muppets. That was a very deliberate thing, because the Muppets are really simple characters, they’re really well-designed, they work great in 3D and they’re really expressive and those are all the things you want in a cartoon. I remember watching “A Bug’s Life” and having it click in my head, “Oh, it’s puppets. 3D cartoons, it’s about puppets.”
- Chris Miller: The thing about human characters is in CG, if you make them look too realistic, they get kind of creepy looking, so early on, we definitely knew that we wanted the character designs to have a more cartoony aesthetic so one of the many sources, including the book and classic ’50s and ’60s animation, was the Muppets, and that went across for all the characters, especially Flint and Tim with his monobrow.
- Bill Hader - Flint Lockwood (voice)
- Anna Faris - Sam Sparks (voice)
- James Caan - Tim Lockwood (voice)
- Andy Samberg - 'Baby' Brent (voice)
- Bruce Campbell - Mayor Shelbourne (voice)
- Mr. T - Earl Devereaux (voice)
- Bobb'e J. Thompson - Cal Deveraux (voice)
- Benjamin Bratt - Manny (voice)
- Neil Patrick Harris - Steve (voice)
- Al Roker - Patrick Patrickson (voice)
- Lauren Graham - Fran Lockwood (voice)
- Will Forte - Joe Towne (voice)