American playwright, screenwriter, director and actor (1906-1963)
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I believe in the vast potentialities of mankind. But I see everywhere a wide disparity between what they can be and what they are. That is what I want to say in writing. I want to say the genius of the human race is mongrelized; I want to find out how mankind can be helped out of the animal kingdom into the clear sweet air.
- Boychick, wake up! Be something! Make your life something good. For the love of an old man who sees in your young days his new life, for such love take the world in your two hands and make it like new. Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills.
- Jacob, in Awake and Sing! (1935), Act I
- Music is the great cheer-up in the language of all countries.
- Mr. Bonaparte, in Golden Boy (1937), Act I, sc. ii
- ...life is lonely, life is empty. Love isn't everything. A dear true friend is more than love--the serge outlasts the silk.
- Mr. Prince, in Rocket To The Moon" (1938), Act III