City of Ember
City of Ember is a 2008 film based on novel of the same title by Jeanne DuPrau about an underground city that was only meant to last for 200 years. When the city starts falling apart, two friends race against time to try and find a way out and save the people of Ember.
- Loris Harrow: [first lines] On the day the world ended, the fate of mankind was carried in a small metal box. In a secret location, architects, scientists and engineers met and concluded that there was only one hope for our future: to build an underground city designed to keep its citizens protected for generations to come. [Later on] The box was entrusted to the first mayor, who was to pass it on to her successor. As the years counted down, the box passed from mayor to mayor. None knew what secrets it held, only that it would open when it was needed most. But fate ran another course, and the chain was broken. The box was tucked away and forgotten, and as the city grew old and began to crumble, the box quietly clicked open.
- Builder #1: Secure the box. Set it for 200 years. We'll keep them in the city for 200 years.
- [Builder #2 sets the years]
- Builder #3: You're certain that'll be long enough?
- Builder #1: None of us can be certain of anything. We can hope. Growing up with no knowledge of a world outside, future generations will be spared sorrow for what they've lost. [puts his glasses on] For the good of all mankind. [closes the box]
- Sul: It's my job!
- Loris Harrow: [last lines] Lina and Doon tied their hope to a rock and tossed it down toward the city. The rock could've ended up on a roof. Or kicked into a gutter. But fate ran another course. And the message found its way. Now the path was clear for all. All of us who kept the flame of Ember burning, through the darkness, so that we could live again on the earth, in the air and the light.
- Loris Harrow: There's more to a bottle cap than keeping liquid from leaking out of glass. The main thing is: pay attention, pay attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notice, and you'll see what no one else knows. What you get is what you get, what you do with what you get, that's more the point.
- Doon Harrow: The Generator's our only source of power. If it goes, we all go.
- Loris Harrow: Well, that's dramatic.
- Doon Harrow: Dad, this place is falling apart. No, I will not just sit around while Ember collapses. I'm getting in to that generator, whatever it takes.
- Lina Mayfleet: How am I ever gonna figure out what this is all about? It's all these zeroes. That's what scares me the most. What would count down to nothing? It sounds like doomsday.
- Lina Mayfleet: I love going fast.
- Sul: [handing a helmet to Doon] Carve your name in there.
- Doon Harrow: Why?
- Sul: Why? In case something happens to ya. The guy who wore this helmet before you, drowned. If he hadn't carved his name in it we wouldn't have known who he was.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|