2009 film by Atom Egoyan
Chloe is a 2009 film about a doctor who hires an escort to seduce her husband, whom she suspects of cheating, though unforeseen events put the family in danger. It is a remake of the 2004 French film Nathalie....
If the one you love was lying to you, how far would you go to find out the truth?
- I guess I've always been pretty good with words. In my line of business. It's as important to be able to describe what I'm doing as it is to do what I'm doing. When to say what. What words to select. Some men hate to hear certain terms. They can't stand specific moves and then they can't live without others. It's part of my job to know where to place my hand, my lips, my tongue, my leg and even my thoughts. What kind of pressure, for how long, when to stop. I can become your first kiss... or a torn out image from a Playboy magazine that you found when you were 9 years old. Am I your secretary or am I your daughter? Maybe I'm your seventh grade math teacher you always hated. All I know is that if I do it just right, I can become your living, breathing, unflinching dream, and then I can actually disappear.
- My husband's cheating on me. At least I think he is. I wanna find out. See what he does if you present yourself to him.
- [to Chloe] This business transaction, which is what this was, is over!
- I'm supposed to be happy you had your little midlife crisis fling?
- Eliza: I’ve never had an orgasm.
- Catherine Stewart: From intercourse?
- Eliza: I’ve never had sex. [pause] I tried once. And then again. It hurt....I don’t think I’m normal. [pause] I just don’t like the whole...process.
- Catherine Stewart: An orgasm is simply a series of muscle contractions. That’s it. It comes from manipulating the clitoris. Nothing mysterious, nothing magic about it. I’ll get you some literature to take home with you. You can get dressed.
- Catherine Stewart: Did you find that waitress sexy?
- David Stewart: Which one?
- Catherine Stewart: The one you were flirting with.
- David Stewart: Oh come on, I was being friendly.
- Catherine Stewart: How do you do this?
- Chloe: I try to find something to love in everybody. Even if it's a small thing. Something about the way someone smiles. There's always something, there has to be. I try to make myself generous. I do things I don't want to do. I... I think about what not to criticize. And the strangest things come back to me.
- Catherine Stewart: Like?
- Chloe: You.
- Catherine Stewart: Me?
- Chloe: Yeah. Yeah people like you walk into my life.
- Chloe: Dr. Catherine is your mom?
- Michael Stewart: My mom is your gynecologist?
- Catherine Stewart: You and I used to make love three times a day. Then every day. Then once a week. And then we had a child. We had life and work, we were best friends, and then I didn’t know how to go from your best friend to your lover.
- David Stewart: You stopped touching me.
- Catherine Stewart: I couldn't look at myself. I didn’t know who I was. I think I’m nineteen, and then I look in the mirror, and I’m this person who doesn't know how to seduce you.
- Chloe: [Calling Catherine in her clinic] Hello Catherine.
- Catherine Stewart: Where are you?
- Chloe: I'm in your waiting room. Didn't you see me when you came in? [camera pans to Chloe, standing in the doorway]
- Catherine Stewart: What do you want?!
- Chloe: You thought you could buy me and I’d go away. Just hand me money and I’d run away and take care of myself.
- Catherine Stewart: [Desperate, to her son] Please, get out of here.
- Michael Stewart: What’s going on...?
- [Crying, Catherine is forced to shove Michael out of the room. She closes the door and locks it.]
- Catherine Stewart: I don’t want you near my son. Do you understand?
- Chloe: He’s not yours. None of us are. Your husband isn't yours. And I’m not yours either.
- Catherine Stewart: Please leave me alone. I’m sorry I hurt you. You’re beautiful. You’re amazing. You really are...
- Chloe: Then kiss me.