Chicken Kiev is a popular dish of chicken fillet pounded and rolled around cold butter, then coated with eggs and breadcrumbs, and either fried or baked. In general, the dish of stuffed chicken breast is also known in Russian, Ukrainian and Polish cuisines as côtelette de volaille. As fillets are often referred to as suprêmes in professional cookery, the dish is also named suprême de volaille à la Kiev.
- And, really, can one let chicken cutlets de volaille perish?
- Russian: В самом деле, не пропадать же куриным котлетам де-воляй?
- Mikhail Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita
- Make cutlets de volaille for her. / Anything but cutlets de volaille! It's what chanteuses eat, cutlets de volaille.
- Russian: Сделайте ей котлеты де-воляй. — Только не котлеты де-воляй! Это все шансонетки едят — котлеты де-воляй.
- Arkady Averchenko. A woman in a restaurant
- Question: What has feathers and glows in the dark? Answer: Chicken Kiev.
- A joke by an unknown author which apppeared shortly after the Chernobyl disaster. Quoted by David Bloom in Who starts those jokes? in New York magazine, vol. 19, 19 May 1986, p.32
- Art: Where'd you learn to speak English so well?
- Danko: Army. Compulsory training. Language school in Kiev.
- Art: Oh, yeah. That's like as in chicken Kiev. We had that at my sister's wedding.
- Archie/Wanda (recalling Russian words they know): Glasnost. Molotov. Blinis. Lenin. Pushkin. Chicken Kiev. Dostoyevsky. Roubles. Vladivostok.
- Roger: They have chicken Kiev. The butter squirts everywhere.
- Mad Men. Public Relations
- Brent: I mean, there's chicken, uh, I like the fried element to it, big fan of fried. But then some kind of goop oozed out of it. Not a big fan of goop.
- Lacey: That goop is butter.
- Brent: Oooh, big fan of butter!
- Emma: Chicken stuffed with butter! That's just gross... and unhealthy.
- Brent: Oooh, big fan of unhealthy!
- Corner Gas. R2 Bee Too
- Galina "Red" Reznikov: No more processed chicken that looks like a hockey puck and tastes like … wet paper. Real chicken Kiev.
- Galina "Red" Reznikov: All I wanted was to eat the chicken that is smarter than other chickens and to absorb its power. And make a nice Kiev.
- Orange Is the New Black. The Chickening
Encyclopedic article on Chicken Kiev on Wikipedia