Chak De India
Chak De India is a 2007 film made in India about women's field hockey in India. It is loosely based upon some events in the life of former hockey player, Mir Ranjan Negi (who was also the hockey coach for the film).
- Women's Hockey Association Official 1: I do not get it- why do you not take women's hockey seriously?
- Women's Hockey Association Official 2: And I do not get why you take it so seriously. Uttamji, Indian women are born to cook and clean. They cannot run around in short skirts. (English translation)
- Sukhlal:So you are a Madrassi?
- Nethra: Telegu.
- Sukhlal: Tamil.
- Nethra: Not Tamil, Telegu.
- Sukhlal: Same thing. What's the difference between Tamil and Telegu?
- Nethra: The same difference that there is between Punjabi and Bihari. (English translation)
- Preeti: But I'm the captain of a state team.
- Coach Khan: And I'm the coach of the Indian National Women's Team. I cannot hear or see the names of states. I can only hear the name of one country - India. (English translation)
- British coach during the World Cup match, referring to the Indian team: I am confused. Which one of them is Didi? 
- "Do not think you are playing against 16 boys. You are fighting everyone in this country who thinks girls can never match up to men, cannot hold a job as well as a man, cannot make decisions like men. You are fighting each fool who has forgotten that if a girl has given life to him, she can do anything. Anything." -Coach Khan in a speech to the girls prior to their match with the boys hockey team. (English translation)
- "sattar minute,
sattar minute hai tumhaare paas...
shaayad tumhaare zindagi ke sabse khaas sattar minute..
Aaj tum achchha khelo ya bura
yeh sattar minute tumhe zindagi bhar yaad rahenge
toh kaise khelna hai, aaj main tumhe nahi bataaunga
bas itna kahunga, ki jaao aur yeh sattar minute jee bhar ke khel lo
kyun ki iske baad aanewaali zindagi mein,
chaahe kuch sahi ho ya na ho..
chaahe kuch rahe ya na rahe, tum haaro ya jeeto
lekin yeh sattar minute, tumse koi nahi chheen sakta, koi nahin!!
Toh maine socha ki iss match mein kaise khelna hai
aaj main tumhein nahi bataaunga, balki tum mujhe bataaoge, khel kar
kyun ki main jaanta hoon ki agar yeh sattar minute
iss team ka har player apni zindagi ki sabsi badiya hockey khel gaya
toh yeh sattar minute khuda bhi tumse waapas nahin maang sakta
toh jaao, jaao aur apne aap se, iss zindagi se, apne khuda se
aur har uss insaan se jisne tum par bharosa nahi kiya
apne sattar minute chheen lo" [actual dialogue]
70 minutes. you have 70 minutes
Probably the most important 70 minutes of your life
Today, whether you play well or not
You will remember these 70 minutes for the rest of your life
So I will not tell you how to play today,
All I will say is go out there and play these 70 minutes to their fullest
Because after this moment, whatever happens in life
Whether its good or not,
Whatever the end result is, whether you win or lose
No one can take these 70 minutes away from you, no one!
So, I have decided,
I will not tell you how to play today, YOU will tell me, by playing.
Because I know that in these 70 minutes, if every player in this team plays the best hockey game of her life
Then even God cannot take these 70 minutes away from you
So go! Go and from yourselves, from this life, from your God, and from every person who didn’t have faith in you
Go snatch your 70 minutes. [English translation.]