Celestino Aós Braco
Roman Catholic cardinal
- As a society we have to be united and be honest, without depriving the most vulnerable of material goods, because in doing so we take away their hope, which is much worse.
- Each bishop has his qualities and in each historical moment society needs different styles.
- We want to accompany people and be communities that encounter Christ. If we are relating in a way that is not what Christ wants, but with an attitude of arrogance, abuse of the other, something has to change. We have to change the way we relate to each other, to society, and to these people who are suffering because they are victims. Sometimes you have a clear goal, but sometimes you don't.
- When faced with violence, we stand up against it. This is not the way, not the solution. So how do we live? We live with pain. Every day we have to encourage those brothers or sisters who say they are happy and that everything is fine. No it isn't! There are many forms of injustice and we must get involved. We cannot just remain on the side lines.
- Attacks in Chile “a blow to the hearts of Catholics” (22 October 2020)