Trout Mask Replica (1969)Edit
- A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?
- Pachuco Cadaver
- That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!
- Bulbous, also tapered.
- Pena, spoken by Van Vliet and Victor Hayden (Mascara Snake)
Her litle head clinking
Like a barrel of red velvet balls
Full past noise
Treats filled her eyes
Turning them yellow like enamel coated tacks
Soft like butter hard not to pour
- Pena, sung by Jeff Cotton, better known as Antennae Jimmy Semens
- You look dandy in the sky but you don’t scare me
Cause I got you here in my eye
In this lifetime you got my human gets me blues
- My Human Gets Me Blues
Don Van Vliet: "Ice Cream For Crow".
David Letterman: Yeah. What does that mean exactly, that title?
Don Van Vliet: It has a lot to do with Reagan. I mean, he saddle-soaps his hair and tosses jelly beans through rope tricks. He's a bad actor. [laughter]
The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Beefheart (1997)Edit
- Radio interview extracted for the documentary The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Beefheart, BBC (1997) - YouTube video
- "I've written every drum bit I ever done, every note. I played the drums. I played the guitar. I played the piano. I wanted it exactly the way I wanted. Exactly. Any composer I would think would want it that way, and I don't deviate at all. Don't you think that somebody like Stravinsky, for instance, don't you think that it would have annoyed him if someone bent a note the wrong way?"
- On Trout Mask Replica
Quotes about Beefheart (Van Vliet)Edit
- [Beefheart] used to say, "You think you got a hard job, man? I gotta sing to that shit!"
- John "Drumbo" French, Why this awful sounding album is a masterpiece, VOX.com (YouTube), October 28, 2017