Brigadoon (1947) was a Broadway musical play written by Alan Jay Lerner (script and lyrics) and Frederick Loewe (music) which opened March 13, 1947; in 1954 a motion picture version directed by Vincente Minnelli was released. Both play and film are about two American hunters who stumble into a mysterious Scottish village that doesn't appear on any map.
- Why do people have to lose things to find out what they really mean?
- Well, most of my friends who have inferiority complexes are absolutely right. They're NOT as good as everybody else!
- If they want to disregard two hundred years of human bing-bang, that's their privilege.
- There's nothing a woman hates more than her fiancee's best friend. He knows all the secrets she's going to spend the rest of her life trying to find out.
- You're confused, aren't you, boy? If you believed as much as you thought you believed, you wouldn't be confused.
- If you scratch the surface of any woman, she'll like it!
- It's the hardest thing in the world to give everything. Though it's usually the only way to get everything.
- Jeff Douglas: Frank, put it on the bill.
- Bartender (Frank): The bill, sir, is very high.
- Jeff Douglas: So am I!
- Tommy Albright: [in a crowded bar] It's hot in here.
- Jeff Douglas: It's not the heat, it's the humanity.
- Meg Brockie: I'm highly attracted to ye. Why, when I look at ye, I feel wee tadpoles jumping in my spine.
- Jeff Douglas: That's about as repulsive an idea as I've heard in years!
- Jeff Douglas: Can you think of one good reason why I, a strange man, should be interested in proposing to you, a mighty strange woman, and at this hour of the day?
- Meg Brockie: Because you're a lad and I'm a lass!
- Jeff Douglas: Well, with that philosophy you must have had a provacative career!
- Mr. Lundie: They were indeed horrible, destructive women. I dinna suppose you have such women in your country?
- Tommy Albright: Witches?
- Jeff Douglas: Oh, we have 'em. We pronounce it differently.
Quotes about BrigadoonEdit
- Does anyone ever get two chances? Is the Door in the Wall always gone when next you look? Where do you catch the boat for Brigadoon?