1989 American action thriller film directed by Ridley Scott
An American Cop in Japan. Their country. Their laws. Their game. His rules.taglines
- If you pull it, you better use it.
- I usually get kissed before I get fucked.
- One good hand job deserves another.
- Now, you got a counterfeiting ring going on and you should talk to your partner before you go to the suits. So fuck you very much!
- Sugai-san, I am the solution... to your problems.
- A love-hate relationship can last a very long time.
- The girls want to know if you're the guy who lost Sato at the airport. Just off the plane, you make the evening news. Very impressive. Americans who are less than perfect - it's very amusing.
- Crown: We'll charge you. We'll find someone to help us. Nobody's got a softer center than a dirty cop.
- Berg: That's a king-sized nut. I admire your thrift
- Nick Conklin: Yeah, well, life's a bitch.
- Crown: We did the math, Hero. You're twenty grand in the hole a month. You're into the shylocks, Conklin, you're takin'.
- Nick Conklin: Look, you wanna charge me, you charge me, okay? You wanna jerk off, you go back to your office.
- Nick Conklin: Just hope they got a Nip in this building who speaks fucking English.
- Matsumoto Matsumoto: [overhearing] Assistant Inspector Matsumoto Masahiro, Criminal Investigation section, Osaka Perfecture police. And I do speak fucking English.
- Matsumoto Matsumoto: Perhaps you should think less of yourself and more of your group. Try to work like in Japanese. I grew up with your soldiers; you were wise then. Now - music and movies are all America is good for. We make the machines, we build the future, we won the peace.
- Nick Conklin: And if there was ONE of you guys who had an original idea, you'd be so tight that you couldn't even pull it out of your ass!
- Sugai: [on Sato] He might as well be an American. His kind respect just one thing: money.
- Nick Conklin: So what are you into it for? Love?
- Sugai: I was 10 when the B-29 came. My family lived underground for three days. When we came up the city was gone. Then the heat brought rain. Black rain. You made the rain black, and shoved your values down our throat. We forgot who we were. You created Sato and thousands like him. I'm paying you back.
- Nick Conklin: A couple of guys I used to work with in the department took some money from some drug dealers. No big deal.
- Matsumoto Matsumoto: They stole?
- Nick Conklin: They liberated funds.
- Matsumoto Matsumoto: Theft is theft. There is no gray area.
- Nick Conklin: Hey, Matsu. New York is one big gray area.
- Joyce: Look, I've been living in this country for seven years, and I still can't read the headlines. Yes means no. Maybe means never.
- Nick Conklin: You still didn't answer my question. How do I get to him?
- Joyce: Let the police handle it. Nobody's going to help a gaijin.
- Nick Conklin: Gaijin?
- Joyce: Yeah, a stranger. A barbarian. A foreigner. Me and you... More you.
- Joyce: Because you could get me killed. You see, there's a war going on here, and they don't take prisoners.
- Nick Conklin: What are you talking about?
- Joyce: It's between Sato and an old crime boss named Sugai.
- Nick Conklin: Who else knows about this war?
- Joyce: Counting you and me? [beat] Eleven million.
- An American Cop in Japan. Their country. Their laws. Their game. His rules.
- Osaka, Japan. A cop on the edge. A conspiracy on the rise. A killer on the loose.
- A cop on the edge, a conspiracy in the rise, a killer on the loose.
- Michael Douglas - Nick Conklin
- Andy García - Charlie Vincent
- Ken Takakura - Masahiro Matsumoto
- Kate Capshaw - Joyce
- Yusaku Matsuda - Koji Sato
- Shigeru Kōyama - Ohashi
- John Spencer - Oliver
- Guts Ishimatsu - Katayama
- Yuya Uchida - Nashida
- Tomisaburo Wakayama - Sugai
- Miyuki Ono - Miyuki
- Luis Guzmán - Frankie
- John Costelloe - The Kid
- Stephen Root - Berg
- Richard Riehle - Crown