Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell (born 18 December 2001) is an American singer and songwriter.
- My whole family is really musical. My brother and my mom both write songs and my dad has always played the piano and ukulele. When we were little, my dad would make us mix tapes with songs by artists like the Beatles and Avril Lavigne, so we learned a lot from those. Even though I never really thought of being a singer, I’ve always loved it. I’ve been in the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus since I was about 8, which has helped my technique so much. It’s showed me all of the different types of classic music there are and how beautiful they can be. When I was 11 or 12, I started writing songs because it’s a good way to express your feelings. My brother is a really good songwriter so we’d give each other notes and write stuff together.
- Aside from singing, I'm also a dancer. I've been dancing since I was eight. Last year, one of my teachers asked if I would either write a song or have my brother write a song to choreograph a dance to. I was like, "yes, that's such a cool thing to do!" Then, my brother came to me with "Ocean Eyes", which he had originally written for his band. He told me he thought it would sound really good in my voice. He taught me the song and we sang it together along to his guitar and I loved it — it was stuck in my head for weeks. We kind of just decided that that was the song we were going to use for the dance. We put it on SoundCloud with a free download link next to it so my dance teacher could access it. We had no intentions for it, really. But basically overnight a ton of people started hearing it and sharing it. Hillydilly, a music discovery website, found it and posted it and it just got bigger and bigger. It was really surreal. Then, Danny Ruckasin, who is now my manager, reached out to my brother and was like, "dude, this is going to get huge and I think you’re going to need help along the way. I want to help you guys." We were like, "that’s swag!"
- "How Billie Eilish's "Ocean Eyes" Turned Her Into an Overnight Sensation" by Ariana Marsh, Teen Vogue (24 February 2017)
- I really wanted to be a model when I was little. I loved photography and I loved being on camera. But I was short and chubby so I couldn’t. Anyway, being an artist is way more interesting than just being a model because it’s about you and what you want to be. You’re not being treated like a clothes hanger.
- "Billie Eilish interview: The 15-year-old pop sensation aiming right for the top" by David Smyth, Evening Standard (30 October 2017)
- I have never done drugs, I’ve never got high, I’ve never smoked anything in my life. I don’t give a fuck, I never have. It’s just not interesting to me. I have other shit to do. … I know people around you doing that shit makes you want to, but you don’t have to … [her song "xanny" is] less "don’t do drugs"; it’s more "be safe" …. I don’t want my friends to die any more.
- Bing? Who the fuck uses Bing?
- After being asked "What about Bing?", after stating stats of 152 million Google searches for her name, in "Billie Eilish: Same Interview, The Third Year", Vanity Fair (25 November 2019)
- Yeah, I'm definitely successful. … I was thinking about that earlier today, because of this interview, I was like — back then I thought, it's was like the biggest it was ever going to be, and I thought, it was the most I was ever going to be recognized and it was the most anyone was going to know me... and it was the most money I was going to have, the most clothes I'd have, the most shoes I'd have — and what's crazy is: it wasn't. … "Success" is not how well people know you, it's how you're like "looked at". I genuinely did not think people would care. It's like I can't even stress it enough: I can't believe people care so much — about me. It's crazy to me.
- "Billie Eilish: Same Interview, The Third Year", Vanity Fair (25 November 2019)
- I am vegan. I've been vegan for, damn, seven years. I learned about the dairy industry and the meat industry, which I already knew about. But, you know, once you know that kind of thing and you see it, it's really hard to go back. And now, even though I have lots of friends that eat dairy and meat and I don't ever want to tell anybody what to do, I just can't go on in my life knowing what's going on in the animal world and like, not doing anything about it.
- "Billie Eilish Answers Questions From Justin Bieber & 22 Other Famous Fans", British Vogue (3 May 2021)
- As a woman, I think porn is a disgrace. I used to watch a lot of porn, to be honest. I started watching porn when I was like 11 … I think it really destroyed my brain and I feel incredibly devastated that I was exposed to so much porn. … I’m so angry that porn is so loved, and I’m so angry at myself for thinking that it was okay.
- "Billie Eilish Opens Up About Surviving COVID and Hosting ‘SNL’", The Howard Stern Show (13 December 2021)
Singles (2017 - present)Edit
- Wake up and smell the coffee
Is your cup half full or empty?
- "Come Out and Play" (20 November 2018) · YouTube audio, co-written with Finneas O'Connell.
- You'll never know until you try it
You don't have to keep it quiet
And I know it makes you nervous
But I promise you, it's worth it
To show 'em everything you kept inside
Don't hide, don't hide
Too shy to say, but I hope you stay
Don't hide away
Come out and play
- Come Out and Play (20 November 2018), co-written with Finneas O'Connell.
- When I was older
I was a sailor
On an open sea
But now I'm underwater
And my skin is paler
Than it should ever be
- When I Was Older, Music Inspired by the Film Roma (9 January 2019)
- I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
Not what you'd think
And if I'm being honest
It might have been a nightmare
To anyone who might care
- I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
But when I wake up, I see
You with me
And you say
As long as I'm here
No one can hurt you
Don't wanna lie here
But you can learn to
If I could change the way that you see yourself
You wouldn't wonder why you hear
"They don't deserve you"
- "everything i wanted"
- I saw you there
Too much to bear
You were my life
But life is far away from fair.
Was I stupid to love you?
Was I reckless to help?
Was it obvious to everybody else
That I'd fallen for a lie?
You were never on my side
Fool me once, fool me twice
Are you death or paradise?
Now you'll never see me cry
There's just no time to die.
- I can't seem to focus
And you don't seem to notice
I'm not here
I'm just a mirror.
- Do you understand?
I've changed my plans
'Cause I, I'm in love
With my future
Can't wait to meet her
And I, I'm in love
But not with anybody else
Just wanna get to know myself.
- "my future" (30 July 2020)
- I know supposedly I'm lonely now (lonely now)
Know I'm supposed to be unhappy
Without someone (someone)
But aren't I someone? (Aren't I someone? Yeah)
- "my future" (30 July 2020)
- I'm not your friend or anything, damn
You think that you're the man
I think, therefore, I am.
Dont Smile At Me (2017)Edit
- Don't be cautious, don't be kind
You committed, I'm your crime
Push my button anytime
You got your finger on the trigger, but your trigger finger's mine
- If teardrops could be bottled
There'd be swimming pools filled by models
Told a tight dress is what makes you a whore
If "I love you" was a promise
Would you break it, if you're honest
Tell the mirror what you know she's heard before
I don't wanna be you anymore
When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? (2019)Edit
- So you're a tough guy
I'm that bad type
I'm the bad guy, duh
I'm the bad guy
- "Bad Guy"
- I must be missing something
They just keep doing nothing
Too intoxicated to be scared
Better off without them
They're nothing but unstable
Bring ashtrays to the table
And that's about the only thing they share
I'm in their second-hand smoke
Still just drinking canned Coke
I don't need a Xanny to feel better
On designated drives home
Only one who's not stoned
Don't give me a Xanny now or ever
- "xanny" · official video
Happier Than Ever (2021)Edit
- When I'm away from you
I'm happier than ever
Wish I could explain it better
I wish it wasn't true.
Give me a day or two
To think of something clever
To write myself a letter
To tell me what to do.
- I don't relate to you
I don't relate to you, no
'Cause I'd never treat me this shitty
You make me hate this city.
And I don't talk shit about you on the internet
Never told anyone anything bad
'Cause that shit's embarrassing, you were my everything
And all that you did was make me fucking sad
So don't waste the time I don't have
Don't try to make me feel bad.
- "Happier Than Ever"
- You ruined everything good
Always said you were misunderstood
Made all my moments your own
Just fucking leave me alone.
- "Happier Than Ever"
Guitar Songs (2022)Edit
- The internet's gone wild watching movie stars on trial
While they're overturning Roe v. Wade.
Now all of my friends are missing again
'Cause that's what happens when you fall in love
You don't have the time, you leave them all behind
And you tell yourself it's fine, you're just in love.
And I don't get along with anyone
Maybe I'm the problem.
- What if it happened to you on a different day?
On a bridge, where there wasn't a rail in the way?
Or a neighborhood street where the little kids play?
Or the Angeles Crest in the snow or the rain?
What if you weren't alone? There were kids in the car
What if you were remote? No one knows where you are
If you changed anything, would you not have survived?
You're alive, you're alive, you're alive.
- I've been walking through a world gone blind
Can't stop thinking of your diamond mind
Careful creature made friends with time
He left her lonely with a diamond mind
And those ocean eyes
- "Ocean Eyes" — though her breakthrough hit after she posted her performance of it to SoundCloud for her dance teacher on 18 November 2015, the lyrics were written entirely by her brother Finneas O'Connell, who also collaborates with her on most of her other musical work. · Official Music Video
Quotes about EilishEdit
- Imagine going to sleep as a regular 14-year-old girl and waking up the next morning with your inbox flooded with email messages inquiring about your bourgeoning music career. That's what happened to Billie Eilish who, in 2015, made a somewhat unintentional arrival onto the music scene after uploading a track called "Ocean Eyes" to SoundCloud.
Written and produced by her older brother and featuring her vocals, the song was originally created for Billie's dance teacher, who wanted to choreograph a routine to original music. Within hours, the tune garnered praise from various websites and she's been on the upswing ever since.
- Billie Eilish is a cultural phenomenon. The singer and her songwriter brother, Finneas O’Connell, have created a debut body of work that transcends genres, reflecting the vast multi-artist listening habits of the music streaming generation — while at the same time tearing apart the notion of the album’s death in the age of the playlist. Oh, and she owned Coachella for fun, too.
- Eilish has a disarmingly intimate, unadorned vocal style born of a two-pronged education: a member of the soft brigade of Gen Zers who grew up posting bedroom karaoke videos on YouTube, she also learned technique in the Los Angeles Children's Chorus, where blending matters more than belting.