Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925 film)
1925 American epic silent film directed by Fred Niblo
Lew Wallace's Immortal Story (taglines)
- Ben-Hur: It is good to have you back, Messala - - a Roman who understands my people...
- Messala: Rome rules the peoples she has conquered. It is for them to understand Rome! I meant no offense, Judah. But your stiff-necked race must learn submission to your masters!
- Arrius: A galley slave wanting to live! How long have you been at the oars?
- Ben-Hur: In your calendar, three years - - in mine, three centuries!
- Arrius: What has kept you alive?
- Ben-Hur: I live for revenge!
- Arrius: Spoken like a Roman!
- Ben-Hur: I am a Jew!
- Esther: Why are your so certain, my father, that he is not Ben-Hur?
- Simonides: Nay, child, I had never a doubt. He is Ben-Hur! Esther, all these years I have lived a lie. I am a slave to the House of Hur! For myself I care not, but if I acknowledge him, you too are his slave! Yours the decision, Esther. I cannot make it. Heiress to Simonides the Merchant or slave-girl to Ben Hur!
- Messala: Egypt! Egypt! I would drown my soul in your eyes! Give me proof of your love!
- Iras: My heart is in the hollow of your hand, Messala. What more do you wish?
- Messala: You, flower of the Nile, will succeed where others have failed - - solve the mystery of Ilderim's driver.
- Charioteer: You're fouling me, Roman dog!
- Messala: Yes, and I'll wreck you, Greek, to smash the cursed Jew behind you!
- Lew Wallace's Immortal Story
- Ramon Novarro — Ben-Hur
- Francis X. Bushman — Messala
- May McAvoy — Esther
- Betty Bronson — Mary
- Claire McDowell — Princess of Hur
- Kathleen Key — Tirzah
- Carmel Myers — Iras
- Nigel de Brulier — Simonides
- Mitchell Lewis — Sheik Ilderim
- Leo White — Sanballat
- Frank Currier — Arrius
- Charles Belcher — Balthazar
- Dale Fuller — Amrah
- Winter Hall — Joseph