Battle Royale (film)
Battle Royale (or Batoru rowaiaru) is a 2000 film about 42 ninth-graders taken to an island, given random weapons, and forced to kill each other until one survivor remains as part of a government program. To ensure their cooperation, they've been fitted with explosive collars that explode when they break a rule.
- Directed by Kinji Fukasaku. Written by Kenta Fukasaku and Koshun Takami, based on the 1999 novel of the same name by Koushun Takami.
- What's wrong with killing? Everybody's got their reasons.
- There's a way out of this game. Kill yourselves together, here, now. If you can't do that, then don't trust anyone... just run.
- So today's lesson is...you kill each other off until there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules!
Training Video GirlEdit
- Each weapon is different. Not just guns or knives either! It is random so maybe you will get lucky, maybe not. It eliminates natural advantages.(picks up axe) Oooh. This one is SUPER lucky.
- Kyouichi Motobuchi: If I survive, may I go home?
- Teacher Kitano: Sure, but only if everyone else is dead.
- Shinji Mimura: How were we chosen?
- Teacher Kitano: By impartial lottery.
- Mimura: One more.
- Kitano: Sure.
- Mimura: Why are you doing this?
- Kitano: It's your own damn fault. You guys mock grown-ups. Go ahead and mock us, but don't you forget: life is a game, so fight for survival and find out if you're worth it.
- [Shogo has just finished bandaging Noriko's leg]
- Shuya Nanahara: You know a lot about medicine.
- Shogo Kawada: Well, my father was a doctor.
- Shogo Kawada: [Noriko wakes up abruptly] You okay?
- Noriko Nakagawa: I had a dream...
- Kawada: What dream?
- Nakagawa: I was alone with Kitano on an empty riverbank.
- Kawada: Must've been scary.
- Nakagawa: But Kitano just seemed lonely.
- Kawada: Hmmm.
- Nakagawa: Before this, I always just thought of myself as normal. I'd have a normal marriage, age normally, just like my mom... but when this game started, I realized - it's just that I was sheltered.
- Kawada: Some things are better not to know.
- Hiroki Sugimura: I've been in love with you for a long, long time...
- Kayoko Kotohiki: [cries] What am I supposed to do now?
- Mitsuko Souma: Die.
- Shogo Kawada: Meeting you guys, I finally solved the riddle of Keiko's smile.
- Noriko Nakagawa: What's the answer?
- Shogo Kawada: Her parting words - Thank you - and then...
- Shuya Nanahara: And then? [Kawada drops his cigarette] Kawada!
- Nakagawa: Kawada!
- Kawada: And then - I'm glad I found true friends.
- Could you kill your best friend?
- One Dead. 41 To Go.
- 42 Students, Three Days, One Survivor, No Rules.
- Today, I killed my best friend.
- Have you ever killed your best friend?