subspecies of mammal (donkey as a domesticated subspecies)(Redirected from Ass)
Donkeys or asses, Equus africanus asinus, are domesticated members of the Equidae or horse family.
- A wilful plough-ox should be put back in the track, a balking ass should be made to take the straight path.
- Poor little foal of an oppressèd race!
I love the languid patience of thy face.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, "To a Young Ass" (1794), line 1.
- John Trott was desired by two witty peers
To tell them the reason why asses had ears.
"An 't please you," quoth John, "I'm not given to letters;
Nor dare I pretend to know more than my betters:
Howe'er, from this time I shall ne'er see your graces,
As I hope to be saved! without thinking on asses."
- Oliver Goldsmith, The Clown's Reply; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 45.