Ashley Montagu (June 28, 1905 – November 26, 1999) was a British-American anthropologist and humanist who wrote about issues such as race and gender and their relation to politics and development.
- [C]ircumcision, an archaic ritual mutilation that has no justification whatever and no place in a civilized society.
- "Mutilated Humanity" (1991)
- The family unit is the institution for the systematic production of mental illness.
- interview on "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson" promoting the latest edition of his book The Natural Superiority of Women (orig. 1952)
- The Eskimos live among ice all their lives but have no single word for ice.
- Man: His first Million Years, this quote begins the penultimate chapter of Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan
- The world is so full of wonderful things we should all, if we were taught how to appreciate it, be far richer than kings.
- Montagu, Ashley (1989). Growing Young. Granby, Massachusetts: Bergin & Garvey. p. 120.
- The ability to play is one of the principal criteria of mental health
- Montagu, Ashley. The Universal Nature of Play.
- Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof.
- The natural superiority of women is a biological fact, and a socially acknowledged reality.
- The idea is to die young as late as possible.
- The majority of people believe in incredible things that are absolutely false. The majority of people daily act in a manner prejudicial to their general well-being.
- Absolute truth belongs only to one class of humans ... the class of absolute fools.
- quoted by James Davidson Hunter in Culture Wars: The Struggle to Define America (1991)
- Commemorative essay
- Biographical sketch and publications
- Ashley Montagu Institute: Bio of Ashley Monatgu
- Ashley Montagu Resolution
- Mutilated Humanity
|This scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 4 languages