US American novelist and nonfiction writer
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I try to write the books I would love to come upon, that are honest, concerned with real lives, human hearts, spiritual transformation, families, secrets, wonder, craziness—and that can make me laugh. When I am reading a book like this, I feel rich and profoundly relieved to be in the presence of someone who will share the truth with me, and throw the lights on a little, and I try to write these kinds of books. Books, for me, are medicine.
- Originally posted to the Religion Blog of the Dallas Morning News in 2008.
- ..I thought the secret of life was obvious: be here now, love as if your whole life depended on it, find your life's work, and try to get hold of a giant panda.
- Hard Laughter
- 100 years from now? All new people.
- All New People
- You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
- Traveling Mercies; on page 22 of Bird by Bird she attributes this to "my priest friend Tom"
- Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison, and then waiting around for the rat to die.
- Traveling Mercies
- Laughter is carbonated holiness.
- Plan B
- When you're conscious and writing from a place of insight and simplicity and real caring about the truth, you have the ability to throw the lights on for your reader.
- Bird by Bird
- Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.
- Bird by Bird
- Joy is the best makeup.
- Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith
- Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.
- Facebook post, 4/8/15
- So Rita and I decided that the most subversive, revolutionary thing I could do was to show up for my life and not be ashamed.
- Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year