Angels & Demons (film)
2009 film directed by Ron Howard
Angels & Demons is a 2009 film directed by Ron Howard, based on Dan Brown's novel of the same name. The film follows Harvard Symbologist Robert Langdon as he attempts to stop a bomb threatening to destroy Vatican City on the eve of Conclave.
- It's an ambigram. It's the same image forward and backward. Now, that's common for a symbol like Yin and Yang or the swastika, but that's a word. That Illuminati ambigramatic symbol has been considered a myth for 400 years. Supposedly, in the 16th Century, some artist created it as a tribute to Galileo's love of symmetry. It was only going to be revealed when the Illuminati had amassed enough power to resurface and carry out their final goal.
- The Illuminati did not become violent until the 17th Century. Their name means "The Enlightened Ones." They were physicists, mathematicians, astronomers. They were concerned about the Church's inaccurate teachings. They were dedicated to scientific truth. The Vatican didn't like that, so the Church began to — how do you say it? — hunt them down and kill them. Drove them underground into a secret society.
- Fellas, you called me.
- By all means, let's just talk it over
- Faith is a gift which I have yet to receive.
Camerlengo Patrick McKennaEdit
- Who is more ignorant — the man who cannot define lightning, or the one who does not respect its awesome natural power?
- I want people's last memory of the church to be of them walking out with their heads held high, not of some old men sneaking out a back door.
- Have you come to make me a martyr?
- If science is allowed to claim the moment of creation, what is left for God?
- [Last words] Father, into Thy hands, I commit my spirit.
- Robert Langdon: Shouldn't you be in Rome? Kind of a busy time for you guys.
- Claudio Vincenzi: In fact, I was in New York.
- Claudio Vincenzi: You wrote a book on it.
- Robert Langdon: Which is why you're here.
- Claudio Vincenzi: "The Art of the Illuminati, by Robert Langdon"
- Robert Langdon: Part One. I haven't been able to finish Part Two because I'm not allowed access to your archives.
- Robert Langdon: Oh, yes. Pope Pius IX's Great Castration.
- Ernesto Olivetti: I beg your pardon?
- Robert Langdon: 1857. Pope Pius IX felt the male form would inspire lust, so he took a hammer and chisel and "un-manned" hundreds of these statues. The plaster fig leaves were added later.
- Ernesto Olivetti: Are you Anti-Catholic, Professor Langdon?
- Robert Langdon: No. I'm anti-vandalism.
- Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: Mr Langdon, you are correct that I may grant you access to the archives.
- Robert Langdon: Thank you, Padre.
- Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: I said that you are correct that I may, not-not that I will. Christianity's most sacred codices are in that archive. Given your recent entanglement with the church... there is a question I'd like to ask you first, here, in the office of His Holiness. Do you believe in God, Sir?
- Robert Langdon: Father, I simply believe that religion......
- Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: I did not ask you if you believe what man says about God. I asked you if you believe in God.
- Robert Langdon: I'm an academic. My mind tells me I will never understand God.
- Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: And your heart?
- Robert Langdon: Tells me I'm not meant to. Faith is a gift that I have yet to receive.
- Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: Be delicate with our treasures.
- Cardinal Ebner: Conclave will go on without us. It must, now of all times. May God forgive you for what you've done.
- The Assassin: Father, if God has any issues, they won't be with what I've done. They'll be with what I'm about to do.
- Ernesto Olivetti: Where did you get that?
- Vittoria Vetra: We borrowed it.
- Ernesto Olivetti: You removed a document from the Vatican archives?
- Robert Langdon: She did it.
- Robert Langdon: If you care at all about your church, you'll listen to me.
- Commander Richter: My church? My church comforts the sick and dying. My church feeds the poor. What does your church do, Mr. Langdon? That's right. You don't have one.
- Carabinieri Officer: Professor Langdon, I insist I must take you back to the Vatican.
- Robert Langdon: The Vatican is about to see its fourth cardinal murdered tonight! Now, look. You can do as they say and force me to go back to the Vatican, where we can all mourn his death together, or you can show how real cops act, and take me to Piazza Navona, where we might still be able to stop it!
- [The two Carabinieri officers start talking to each other]
- Robert Langdon: Oh, by all means, let's talk it over!
- Tom Hanks - Robert Langdon
- Ayelet Zurer - Vittoria Vetra
- Ewan McGregor - Camerlengo Patrick McKenna
- Stellan Skarsgård - Commander Maximillian Richter
- Pierfrancesco Favino - Inspector Ernesto Olivetti
- David Pasquesi - Claudio Vincenzi
- Nikolaj Lie Kaas - Mr. Gray/The Assassin
- Armin Mueller-Stahl - Cardinal Strauss
- Thure Lindhardt - Lieutenant Chartrand
- Angels & Demons (book)
- The Da Vinci Code (book)
- The Da Vinci Code (film)
Angels & Demons quotes at the Internet Movie Database