Angelo Mathews (Sinhalese: ඇන්ජෙලෝ මැතිව්ස්; Tamil: அஞ்செலோ மத்தியூஸ்) (born in 2 June 1987; age 28) is a professional Sri Lankan cricketer, and captain of the Sri Lankan National Cricket Team. Angelo Mathews is known for his great batting technique, and his bowling.
- The fact that we are coming as underdogs releases the pressure. Yes, we didn't do well in the Asia Cup but we're getting better day by day. I'm confident of my team's progress.
- The Sri Lankan cricket team hasn’t been doing very well recently after failing to reach the semi-finals in World Twenty20, and a poor performance in the 2016 Asian Cup, quoted on ‘’indiatoday’’, ICC World Twenty20: Sri Lanka not treating Afghanistan like minnows, says Angelo Mathews, no date specified
- We can't call Afghanistan minnows. They beat all the teams in the qualifiers and progressed. We are taking them very seriously. They can upset any team. We have to really play well to beat Afghanistan. They're really tough. It (2015 WC) was a very close game. They really fought hard against us. We have to fight well. If we play to our potential, we can beat them.
- On the Afghanistan cricket team, quoted on ‘’indiatoday’’, ICC World Twenty20: Sri Lanka not treating Afghanistan like minnows, says Angelo Mathews, no date specified
- It has been a disappointing few months for all of us. We let down the fans, we let down the whole country. All we can do is stick to one combination, not try and change the team too much. Quick decisions won't solve this matter, we got to try and be patient.
- Mathews on how the team isn't doing that well (kicked out of World T20), quoted on ibnlive, "Angelo Mathews exits World T20 as Sri Lanka's tragic hero", March 27, 2016.
- We all want this game to be clean and whoever has done something wrong, we want them to bring before the courts and take certain decisions. As captain of the team I have to mention that the cricketers felt really uncomfortable the last few days because they are the ones who came forward and reported this to ICC [International Cricket Council] and SLC
- Quoted on Stuff.co.nz (January 20, 2016), "Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews defends his players in match-fixing scandal"
- I can't deny or accept that these things happened. But, I can promise that there will be no mercy for any member found guilty of misconduct. As players, we don't play to lose and you get hurt when spectators say things like this. Fans are also hurt when we lose and you have to look at it from both ways. I am not admitting or denying anything. But I have been asked to submit a report which I will do during the next few days.
- Quoted on Stuff.co.nz (January 14, 2016), "Angelo Mathews promises 'no mercy' to Sri Lanka cricketers guilty of misconduct"
- Angelo's such a world-class player because he's so adaptable and he's got such a strong defence as well. It was a plan we wanted to play out and obviously when he started walking across his stumps a little bit, Wags decided that at some stage he was going to try and bowl the miracle ball and try and hit the base of leg stump. In the end it obviously split his defence and went on to the stumps.
- Brendon McCullum on Mathews getting out by a ball by Wager of New Zealand, Stuff.co.nz (December 14, 2015), "Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews is kicking himself after self-inflicted damage"