2006 comedy movie on a television singing contest directed by Paul Weitz
American Dreamz is a 2006 comedy film.
- Jessica, you make me feel like being a better person and I'm not a better person. I'm me.
- Martin, I'm not physically attracted to other people, but if you want me, I'm yours.
- [Opening Lines]
- Jessica: [after Martin receives a fax showing American Dreamz as the top rated show] How are the numbers?
- Martin Tweed: Incredible. [chuckles] Absolutely incredible.
- Jessica: Congratulations.
- Jessica: I'm leaving you.
- [Long pause]
- Jessica: Did you hear what I said? I'm leaving you.
- Martin Tweed: [still staring at the fax] Yeah, I heard. Yeah, Yeah
- Jessica: I'm not kidding.
- Martin Tweed: I know. [turns and walks toward her] Look, I think it's an excellent decision on your part.
- Jessica: You do?
- Martin Tweed: You're a fantastic person and the last year's been really great. You're beautiful. The sex has been wonderful. You're kind and supportive. You wait for me with dinner when I work late: you're amazing. And it's driving me out of my fucking mind.
- [She stares in disbelief]
- Martin Tweed: You know, with numbers like this, this should be the happiest day of my life and instead i have to worry about whether I make you happy all the time!
- [Pause, her lip quivers]
- Martin Tweed: Jessica, sweetheart, you make me feel like being a better person. And I'm not a better person. I'm me.
- Jessica: [teary-eyed as she walks away] I feel sorry for you.
- Martin Tweed: Don't. I certainly don't. In fact, I envy myself deeply.
- President Staton: Did you know there are two kinds of Iraqistanis?
- [The First Lady holds up three fingers.]
- President Staton: I mean, actually, three?
- Vice President Sutter: You mean Sunnis and Shi'ites and Kurds?
- President Staton: You knew about this?
- Martin Tweed: That's weird, one can become quite detached from reality when one's famous.
- Sally Kendoo: That sounds so cool.
- Ali Aziz: You must get to the championship round. When you are on stage with the president, you will have smuggled in an explosive.
- Omer: What if I don't make it to the final round?
- Ali Aziz: Folks don't call me the torturer because I don't like to torture people.
- Hugh Grant as Martin "Tweedy" Tweed
- Dennis Quaid as President Joseph Staton
- Marcia Gay Harden as First Lady
- Willem Dafoe as Chief of Staff
- Mandy Moore as Sally Kendoo
- Chris Klein as William Williams
- Jennifer Coolidge as Martha Kendoo
- Sam Golzari as Omer Obeidi
- Seth Meyers as Chet Krogl
- Judy Greer as Deborah Accordo
- John Cho as Frank Ittles
- Tony Yalda as Iqbal Riza
- Noureen DeWulf as Shazzy Riza
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Nazneen Riza
- Adam Busch as Sholem Glickstein
- Jeff Ross as American Dreamz finale pre-show announcer (uncredited)