French critic, journalist, and novelist (1808-1890)
Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr (November 24, 1808 – September 29, 1890) was a French critic, journalist and novelist.
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
- The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.
- The more it changes, the more it stays the same.
- The more things change, the more they stay the same.
- The more that things change, the more they stay the same.
- It changes superficially; but, underneath, its essence is always the same.
- Les Guêpes, July 1848, vi
- Also quoted by Rush in “Circumstances,” Hemispheres (October 29, 1978).
- Si l'on veut abolir la peine de mort en ce cas, que MM. les assassins commencent: qu'ils ne tuent pas, on ne les tuera pas.
- If one wants to abolish the death penalty in this case, Messrs. murderers should take the first step: they do not kill, we will not kill them.
- Les Guêpes, January 1849, vi.
- Let us try to see things from their better side: You complain about seeing thorny rose bushes; Me, I rejoice and give thanks to the gods That thorns have roses.
- "Letters written from my garden", 1853