All the Right Moves is a 1983 film about a high school footballer desperate for a scholarship and his headstrong coach who clash in a dying Pennsylvania steel town.
He has everything at stake. He can't afford to lose. He's got to make all the right moves. (taglines)
- Directed by Michael Chapman. Written by Michael Kane.
- Steff: [to the players in the locker room] Listen up, ladies. Brian Riley is going to USC, motherfuckers!
- Brian: All I have to do is maintain my fantastic 2.0 grade-point average, and everything is cool.
- Steff: He didn't quit.
- Nickerson: What did you say?
- Steff: Salvucci, he didn't quit. None of us quit. I don't know. We beat those guys asses up and down that field tonight! We got nothing to be ashamed of, right? Isn't that right? Maybe the scoreboard doesn't say it, but we won that game. We held them. It was just a fluke. That's all. It's just a fluke.
- Nickerson: A fluke? That pass-interference penalty was no fluke. If you had done it the way I taught you, they never would've been down there in the first place, and they never would've scored, and we would've won that game! You're just as responsible as he is.
- Steff: Oh, yeah? If you would've had Rifleman hold the ball, then we would've won the game. We didn't quit. You quit!
- Nickerson: Get your stuff and get the hell out of here right now.
- Steff: What?
- Nickerson: You heard me. You get out of here. You're through. You're off the team.
- Nickerson: Djordjevic! I'd like to talk to you.
- Steff: We got nothing to talk about.
- Nickerson: Then where are you going?
- Steff: Where am I going?
- Nickerson: Yeah.
- Steff: No place, man. I mean, uh, Shadow, he's going to West Virginia. He just found out tonight. And, Tank's going to Furman. You knew that already. And you're going to Cal Poly. And Mouse, Mouse is going to college, he's gonna play ball. Me, I'm just gonna hang out here, I don't know, ya know? Hey, Nickerson, you lied about me. You blackballed me. "Together." Remember that? "Together. Together. Together." That was all just bullshit.
- Nickerson: What?
- Steff: You're full of shit, man. You just sit there in your office. A scholarship here, no scholarship there. He goes. He stays. Who in the hell gave you that power? You're just a coach. You're just a high school football coach. I mean, I don't know. What, what, I don't know. [runs a few steps] You know, Nickerson, you are not God! Huh? You're just a typing teacher! [runs off]
- He has everything at stake. He can't afford to lose. He's got to make all the right moves.
- He had a dream but the dream had begun to sour...busting to break out he had to make...
- Tom Cruise and Craig T. Nelson Discover Winning Is the Only Way Out.