A Face in the Crowd (film)
1957 film by Elia Kazan
- Directed by Elia Kazan. Written by Budd Schulberg, based on his short story "Your Arkansas Traveler".
- A guitar beats a woman every time.
- I'm not just an entertainer. I'm an influence, a wielder of opinion, a force... a force!
- Betty Lou is your public, all wrapped up with yellow ribbons into one cute little package. She's the logical culmination of the great 20th-centure love affair between Lonesome Rhodes and his mass audience.
- They love his voice, they love his guitar, they love his ideas... they should know some of his ideas.
- [about the writers] Here you see the lepers of the great television industry. Men without faces. Why, they even slide our paychecks under the door so they can pretend we're not here.
- [about TV] You gotta be a saint to stand all the power that little box can give you.
- Didn't you know? All mild men are vicious. They hate themselves for being mild, and they hate the windy extroverts whose violence seems to have a strange attraction for nice girls. You should know better.
- [about Lonesome Rhodes] I'll say one thing for him, he's got the courage of his ignorance.
- Marcia Jeffries: You put your whole self into that laugh, don't you?
- Lonesome Rhodes: Marcia, I put my whole self into everything I do.
- Marcia Jeffries: You always drink like that?
- Lonesome Rhodes: Not always. Back in Riddle they was pretty strict. Didn't allow us to touch hard liquor till we was 10 or 11.
- Marcia Jeffries: Now is there really a town called Riddle?
- Lonesome Rhodes: Well, tell you the flat truth, it's just a sort of a whatchacallit, a...
- Marcia Jeffries: ...Composite?
- Lonesome Rhodes: Compost heap's more like it.
- Lonesome Rhodes: This whole country's just like my flock of sheep!
- Marcia Jeffries: Sheep?
- Lonesome Rhodes: Rednecks, crackers, hillbillies, hausfraus, shut-ins, pea-pickers - everybody that's got to jump when somebody else blows the whistle. They don't know it yet, but they're all gonna be 'Fighters for Fuller'. They're mine! I own 'em! They think like I do. Only they're even more stupid than I am, so I gotta think for 'em. Marcia, you just wait and see. I'm gonna be the power behind the president - and you'll be the power behind me!
- First Mrs. Rhodes: Larry... he thinks he has to take a bite out of every broad he comes across. Then he calls them a tramp, drops them, and there's all sort of psycho something-or-other, you know. I caught him red-handed with my best girlfriend. He broke my jaw.
- Marcia Jeffries: It seems to be working quite effectively now.
- Actor on Rhodes' show: [about Senator Fuller] You really sell that stiff as a man among men?
- Lonesome Rhodes: [thinking his microphone is off] Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this... You know what the public's like? A cage of Guinea Pigs. Good Night you stupid idiots. Good Night, you miserable slobs. They're a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they'll flap their flippers.
- Lonesome Rhodes: Listen, I'm not through yet. You know what's gonna to happen to me?
- Mel Miller: Suppose I tell you exactly what's gonna happen to you. You're gonna be back in television. Only it won't be quite the same as it was before. There'll be a reasonable cooling-off period and then somebody will say: "Why don't we try him again in a inexpensive format. People's memories aren't too long." And you know, in a way, he'll be right. Some of the people will forget, and some of them won't. Oh, you'll have a show. Maybe not the best hour or, you know, top 10. Maybe not even in the top 35. But you'll have a show. It just won't be quite the same as it was before. Then a couple of new fellas will come along. And pretty soon, a lot of your fans will be flocking around them. And then one day, somebody'll ask: "Whatever happened to, a, whatshisname? You know, the one who was so big. The number-one fella a couple of years ago. He was famous. How can we forget a name like that? Oh by the way, have you seen, a, Barry Mills? I think he's the greatest thing since Will Rogers."
- Andy Griffith - Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes
- Patricia Neal - Marcia Jeffries
- Anthony Franciosa - Joey DePalma
- Walter Matthau - Mel Miller
- Lee Remick - Betty Lou Fleckum
- Paul McGrath - Macey
- Rod Brasfield - Beanie
- Marshall Neilan - Senator Worthington Fuller
- Alexander Kirkland - Jim Collier
- Howard Smith - J.B. Jeffries
- Kay Medford - First Mrs. Rhodes
- Cara Williams - Nurse