A Close Shave
A Close Shave is a 1995 British stop-motion animated short film directed by Nick Park at Aardman Animations. It is the third film featuring the eccentric inventor Wallace and his dog Gromit, following A Grand Day Out (1989) and The Wrong Trousers (1993). In A Close Shave, Wallace and Gromit uncover a plot to rustle sheep by a sinister dog. Like The Wrong Trousers, it won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film.
- Directed by Nick Park. Produced by Carla Shelley and Michael Rose. Written by Bob Baker and Nick Park.
- Wallace: Have you been peckish during the night? Only, someone's been at me cheese.
- Wallace: Well, won't you come in? We were just about to have some cheese.
- Wendolene: Oh no, not cheese. Sorry, it brings me out in a rash. I can't stand the stuff.
- Wallace: [gulp] Not even Wensleydale?
- [to Gromit, after he escapes from jail with the help of Wallace and the sheep]
- Wallace: I suppose you'll have to skip the country, now. A fugitive, eh? You'll be hunted down like a dog.
- Wallace: [putting Shaun in his Knit-o-Matic] There. Nothing to fret over. Just a quick shampoo. We've tested this on Gromit. Haven't we, lad?
- [Gromit nods wearily]
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: Your dog's waiting.
- Wallace: I'd better see to him. The bounce has gone from his bungee.
- [The sheep have climbed on top of Wallace in order to help Gromit escape from prison]
- Wallace: [as they pull Gromit to safety] Oh, brilliant teamwork, lads!
- [Wallace slips on a bar of soap randomly lying about on the pavement and they all come crashing down]
- Wallace: Whoah!
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: Stop it. Stop it, Preston! Oh, I want no more of this rustling. It wasn't so bad when it was just the wool, but this is evil! Daddy didn't create you for this. You're supposed to protect me!
- [Preston locks her away with Shaun on the back of the truck]
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: Let me out! You're not turning me into dog meat!
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: He's malfunctioning.
- Wallace: Mal-what?
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: Malfunctioning. Preston is a cyberdog.
- Wallace: Cyber-what?
- Wendolene Ramsbottom: A robot. Daddy created him for good, but he's turned out evil.
- [last lines]
- Wallace: What's wrong with Wensleydale? Talking of which, all the more for us. And not a sheep to worry us.
- [Wallace lifts the cover of the cheese tray to discover Shaun eating the cheese]
- Wallace: Get off me cheese! Get off! Get off! Gromit? Gromit! Go for 'im! Gromit! Oh! Ahhh! Get off with ya! Oh! Shoosh off!