2002 FIFA World Cup
The 2002 FIFA World Cup was the 17th FIFA World Cup, the quadrennial world championship for men's national football teams organized by FIFA. It was held from 31 May to 30 June 2002 at sites in South Korea and Japan, with its final match hosted by Japan at International Stadium in Yokohama. A field of 32 teams qualified for this World Cup, which was the first to be held in Asia, the first to be held outside of the Americas or Europe, as well as the first to be jointly-hosted by more than one nation. China, Ecuador, Senegal, and Slovenia made their World Cup debuts.
- This game is going to be won by fucking men, alright? Not little boys, and we're going to be fucking men today. This team we should be able to beat, we will beat.
- Bruce Arena, as quoted in Our Way: The Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Story of the USA's 2002 World Cup Journey (December 2002)
- During the World Cup, when every [South] Korean became a Red Devil supporter of team [South] Korea, they made such an extraordinary impression that foreign fans longed to be part of whatever it was they were part of.
- The experienced Stewart with the corner here for the United States. Here's Brian McBride, it's not away on O'Brien! Gives the United States the lead inside four minutes... Portugal all the over the place here, and they've made another mistake. Here's Donovan, with a cross. Deflected, and in! Two, nil! Can you believe this? Landon Donovan's cross, deflected off Costa. Two, nothing... Here's Sanneh. The Americans, here. What a start for them, and this is number three! Brian McBride!
- Mercado in the middle. comes back to deflect the pass, Sanneh picks it up to Reyna. Reyna swings it back, to O'Brien. Lewis on a long overlap. O'Brien holds, then chucks it down into the corner. Lewis, with a lot of speed. Turns the corner, Donovan going middle. Deflected into the middle, Donovan! Scores! Two, zero! United States leads... The U.S. is about two and a half minutes away from the greatest moment in American soccer history... The last time the U.S. had a shutout in the World Cup was 1950... The land of the free, the home of the brave is into the round of eight! The United States has beaten Mexico two-zero, in the World Cup round of sixteen!
- They got frustrated that they were losing to the U.S. in the World Cup. As far as I'm concerned, you can headbutt, kick me, hit me, and I was going to get up and go forward. The last game of my career against Mexico was in the World Cup, and I stepped off as a winner.
- We just went out on the field and did it.
- Tony Sanneh, as quoted in "U.S. holds on to upset Portugal 3-2 at World Cup" (5 June 2002), Sports Illustrated
- Encyclopedic article on 2002 FIFA World Cup on Wikipedia