1917 (2019 film)
2019 British war film by Sam Mendes
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Hesitate now and we lose. Victory's only five hundred yards away.
- I hoped today might be a good day. Hope is a dangerous thing.
- There is only one way this war ends: Last man standing.
- Have someone tend to your wounds...and fuck off, Lance Corporal.
- (Sprinkles Corporals Blake and Schofield with the alcohol in his flask) Through this holy unction, may the Lord pardon you your faults and whatever sins thou has committed. (Gives the two soldiers a flare gun) I do hate losing these to the hun. So, when they start shooting at you, could you be so kind as to through it back? There's a good chap. Cheerio.
- Lieutenant Leslie
- Don't slow down. The man next to you falls, keep moving. Your orders are to break the line.
- British Sergeant, prior to the final attack
- Corporal Blake: Sir, the general is sure the enemy have withdrawn. There are aerials of the new line that–
- Lieutenant Leslie (exasperated): Shut up, We've fought and died over every inch of this fucking place! Now they suddenly give us miles? It's a trap! [Pause] But chin up, there's a medal in it for sure. Nothing like a scrap of ribbon to cheer up a widow.
- Lance Corporal Schofield: Sir! I have orders to stop this attack!
- British Lieutenant: What?
- Lance Corporal Schofield: Where is Colonel Mackenzie?!
- British Lieutenant: He's further up the line.
- Lance Corporal Schofield: How far?
- British Lieutenant: Three hundred yards. He's in a cut in cover. You'll have to wait until the first wave goes over.
- Lance Corporal Schofield: No. No, I can't.
- British Lieutenant: Second platoon, thirty seconds!
- (Schofield looks down the line, then over the trench into no mans land. He crawls up the side of the trench.)
- British Lieutenant: You can't possibly make it that way man, are you bloody insane.
- (Schofield looks looks back at the officer, who realizes what he is about to do.)
- British Lieutenant: What the hell are you doing Lance Corporal?! No. No! No! No! NO!
- Lance Corporal Schofield: Sir, please read the letter!
- Colonel MacKenzie: I have heard it all before. I'm not going to wait until dusk or for fog. I'm not calling back my men only to send them out there again tomorrow, not when we've got the bastards on the run. This is their last stand.
- Lance Corporal Schofield: The Germans planned this sir. They've been planning it for months. They want you to attack. Read the letter.
- Time is the enemy.
- Once I'd had the idea that it was two hours of real time, it seemed like a natural thing to lock the audience together with the central characters in a way that they gradually began to realize, consciously or unconsciously, they couldn't get out of, it operates more like a ticking-clock thriller, in a way, and so to experience every second passing with the men seemed like a great idea.
- Sam Mendes, 'It Was Part Of Me': Director Sam Mendes On The Family History In '1917' (December 21, 2019)