Solomon ruled the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah in the 900s BCE. He was the son of King David and is credited with authorship of large portions of the Bible's Book of Proverbs and all of Ecclesiastes. He is particularly notable for his pithy quotes.
Solomon is a prophet in Islam.
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Happy is the man that has found wisdom, and the man that gets discernment, for having it as gain is better than having silver as gain and having it as produce than gold itself. It is more precious than corals, and all other delights of yours cannot be made equal to it. Length of days is in its right hand; in its left hand there are riches and glory. Its ways are ways of pleasantness, and all its roadways are peace. It is a tree of life to those taking hold of it, and those keeping fast hold of it are to be called happy.
- A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
- It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
- In much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
- I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.
- Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
- And also to the alien, who is not of Thy people Israel, but comes from a distant land on account of Thy fame; for hearing of Thy great name and Thy strong hand, and Thine outstretched arm, he comes to this house to pray... do Thou listen in the heavens, the place where Thou dwellest, and perform all that the alien begs of Thee, so that all the peoples of the earth may know Thy name, to fear Thee like Thine own people Israel, and to know that Thy name is proclaimed over this house that I have built.
- I Kings 8:41-43 on the dedication of the Temple in Jerusalem