At military exercises I am always in front, and in time of battle am never behind. In the space of seven years I have succeeded in accomplishing a great work, and uniting the whole world in one empire.
Genghis Khan (c.1162 - 1227-08-18), born Temüjin, founded and ruled the Mongol Empire, after unifying the Central Asian tribes. He is also known as the first Great Khan or Khagan (Khan of Khans).
I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
- Quotes without citations to published works can be suggested on the "Unsourced" section of the Discussion page
- Be of one mind and one faith, that you may conquer your enemies and lead long and happy lives.
- As quoted in The Mongol Empire : Its Rise and Legacy (1940) by Michael Prawdin, p. 224
- Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.
- As quoted in The Gigantic Book of Horse Wisdom (2007) by Thomas Meagher and Buck Brannaman, p. 408
- In the space of seven years I have succeeded in accomplishing a great work and uniting the whole world in one Empire.
- As quoted in The Tyrants : 2500 Years of Absolute Power and Corruption (2006) by Clive Foss, p. 55 ISBN 1905204965
- The greatest joy for a man is to defeat his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all they possess, to see those they love in tears, to ride their horses, and to hold their wives and daughters in his arms.
- As quoted in Genghis Khan & the Mongols (1973) by Michael Gibson, p. 3; this has been disputed with the statement that it was "not recorded until a century after his death and is surprisingly out of character." .
- Variant translation:
- The real greatest pleasure of men is to repress rebels and defeat enemies, to exterminate them and grab everything they have; to see their married women crying, to ride on their steeds with smooth backs, to treat their beautiful queens and concubines as pajamas and pillows, to stare and kiss their rose-colored faces and to suck their sweet lips of nipple-colored.
Last modified on 6 September 2013, at 05:29