|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body. It is usually of plant or animal origin, and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. The substance is ingested by an organism and assimilated by the organism's cells in an effort to produce energy, maintain life, and/or stimulate growth.
- Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es.
- Tell me what you eat, and I shall tell you what you are.
- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, Physiologie du Gout (1825); tr. M. F. K. Fisher, The Physiology of Taste: Or Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy (1949)
- Der Mensch ist, was er ißt.
- You are what you eat.
- Victor Lindlahr, You Are What You Eat: how to win and keep health with diet (1942)
- The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live.
- One of the great successes of the twentieth century was a rate of growth in food output that considerably surpassed the unprecedented rate of population growth. . . . We have the capacity to produce enough food for everyone on the planet to be adequately fed.
- Jacques Diouf, director general of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization. Speaking to the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, U.S.A. Awake! magazine, November 22, 2003; Watching the World.
- Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
- There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.
- How can I describe it? Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell. There is excellence all around you. You need only to be aware to stop and savor it.
- Chef Auguste Gusteau, Ratatouille, 2007
- The poor on the borderline of starvation live purposeful lives. To be engaged in a desperate struggle for food and shelter is to be wholly free from a sense of futility.
- Eric Hoffer (The True Believer)
- If you are eating well and your condition is pure and clean, life itself becomes like the dreams or visions that you have when sleeping.
- Michio Kushi with Edward Esko, Spiritual Journey (1994), p. 64
- An army marches on its stomach.
- Napoleon I
- The most sincere form of love is love for food
- Thou shouldst eat to live; not live to eat.
- The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor.
- Chinese Proverb
- After dinner sit a while, and after supper walk a mile.
- English Saying
- Eat little, sleep sound.
- Iranian Proverb
- Smiling face is half the meal.
- Latvian proverb
- Fish, to taste right, must swim three times - in water, in butter, and in wine.
- Polish Proverb
- Do not speak when eating.
- Serer proverb of Senegal
Read in another language
This page is available in 8 languages