|This page is an official policy on Wikiquote.|
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Please do not make significant changes to this page without prior discussion.
|Wikiquote Policies and Guidelines|
- The bot should be distinguished from humans. The name should identify the user as a bot. A name of the form "[normal user]Bot" is highly recommended.
- The bot should have its user page. That page should identify the operator, the purpose of the bot and note whether it has a bot flag.
- Every bot should be listed on Category:Bots before it begins to be run. They are also listed on this page.
- The bot's operator must be reachable. The bot account must have an authentificated email address to the operator which enables anyone to mail the operator. In addition, it is strongly recommended the bot's operator has his own user, where he can be reached. An acceptable, but less recommended, alternative is pointing to the operator's page in some other wikimedia project.
- The bot's operator must be available in English. Since the only language the en.wikiquote admins are guaranteed to know is English, it is imperative that they will need be able to contact the operator in English.
Requests for bot flagEdit
The bot flag is granted by a local bureaucrat subject to community consensus. To request a bot flag, make sure your bot complies with the policy above, then add a header with its name. Under the header, give a short overview of the bot's purpose. The discussion normally lasts for two weeks, but can be shortened or expanded at discretion of a sysop or bureaucrat.
Either granted or rejected, fulfilled votes are found at archives.
=== [[User:Yourbot]] === I request bot flag to my bot * Operator: ~~~ * Purpose: * Script used: * Already has the bot flag on: * Note: (if any) Thank you. --~~~~
I request bot flag to my bot
- Operator: -Riley Huntley (SWMT)
- Purpose: Clean Wikiquote:Sandbox
- Script used: Python, pywikipedia
- Already has the bot flag on: amgwiki, commonswiki, enwiki, enwikiquote, enwikivoyage, eswikivoyage, frwiivoyage, hewikisource, sawiki, simplewiki, sourceswiki, thwiki, ttwiktionary
- Note: (if any)
- The sandbox is a high traffic page, or at least can be at times. It looks unprofessional to have tests from previous people sitting there for weeks, and it's more user friendly to new users to have it clean and ready to use. -Riley Huntley (SWMT) 20:02, 29 February 2016 (UTC)
- Comment: For several years I used to manually check and reset the sandbox on a daily basis. I am no longer that active here, and nobody else has taken up this chore on a regular basis. I think using a bot to pick up the slack is a good idea. ~ Ningauble (talk) 18:02, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
I request bot flag to my bot.
- Operator: MarcoAurelio (talk)
- Purpose: General pywikibot which I use on several projects for broken and/or double redirect maintenance, archiving threads and clearing the sandbox. I can provide all or some those services to the en.wikiquote project if the community so decides.
- Script used: Pywikibot, specifically archivebot.py (source code), redirect.py (source code) & clean_sandbox.py (source code). Bot configuration can be found at Diffusion.
- Already has the bot flag on: see Special:CentralAuth/MABot for a full list.
- Note: I noticed at Wikiquote:Village_pump#Archive_bot? that there's some interest in having an archiving bot for some high traffic pages. At the same time I noticed a very high number of inactive bots still with a bot flag. I am willing to offer my services to this project as well for any of the tasks mentioned above (archiving, redirect maintenance and/or regularly clearing the sandbox). If you prefer that I open a request for each task as to ease the discussion, please let me know. I am also willing to do a trial at the request of the community or the Wikiquote bureaucrats.
- Mentioning BD2412 and UDScott as the two active Wikiquote bureaucrats. --MarcoAurelio (talk) 10:13, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
- A trial seems warranted. The flag is up. BD2412 T 12:19, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
- archivebot trial
- First edit: https://en.wikiquote.org/?diff=2563235 -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 16:10, 19 March 2019 (UTC)
- The test edit placed 2019 discussions in the archive indexed under 2018 in Wikiquote:Administrators' noticeboard/Header. ~ Ningauble (talk) 14:50, 20 March 2019 (UTC)
To archive the Village Pump, given that you use incremental archives (archive 1, archive 2), archivebot.py will archive expired threads on the next avalaible archive irrespective of the date. If you want the bot to archive there, somebody should sort the threads existing on that page first and archive them where they belong. After that, I could try to setup the bot for that page. About the AN, the bot has been running on the page. Given that for now no thread is older than one month, only one run has been performed. Of course you can decide to reduce the time a stale thread is to remain in that page. Thanks. -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 21:13, 1 April 2019 (UTC)
- sandbox cleaner bot
- redirect fixer bot