Under the Tuscan Sun (film)
2003 American romantic comedy film directed by Audrey Wells(Redirected from Under The Tuscan Sun (film))
- What is it about love that makes us so stupid?
- Every day, I watch for the old man with the flowers, and I wonder, was he born here? Did he love someone here? Did he lose someone here? He doesn't seem as curious about me, but that's all right. These days, I'm something of a loner myself.
- I'd like to make an offer on the house. This is what I can pay, minus the work on the place, buckets, nails ... chocolate, and a rental car to drive off a cliff when this all turns out to have been a terrible mistake.
- I still got it! I still got it! I still got it! — Thank God!
- So I was now the owner of a villa whose lands it would take two oxen two days to plow. Owning neither an ox nor a plow, I'd have to take their word for that.
- What are four walls, anyway? They are what they contain. The house protects the dreamer. Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game. It's such a surprise.
- Signora, between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew some day, the train would come.
- It's market day in Cortona — the piazza is an on-going party — and everyone is invited.
- In Italian, the literal translation of "to give birth" — "dare alla luce" — is: "to give to the light".
- The fact that I'm trying to speak Polish in Italy is one of the many suprises around here.
- Regrets are a waste of time. They're the past crippling you in the present.
- No matter what happens, always keep your childish innocence. It's the most important thing.
- Signora, please stop being so sad. If you continue like this, I will be forced to make love to you. And I've never been unfaithful to my wife.
- Life is strange.
- You know when you come across one of those empty shell people, and you think "What the hell happened to you?" Well there came a time in each one of those lives where they are standing at a crossroads... someplace where they had to decide whether to turn left or right. This is no time to be a chicken-shit, Frances.
- Jesus, Frances, how do you do it — how do you ever breathe again?
- She's "Sylvia" in La Dolce Vita. She's very good actually.
- Fefe said "You have to live spherically, in many directions. Never lose your childish enthusiasm and things will come your way."
- Sorry everybody, unscheduled stop.
- Un signo di Dio. A sign from God.
- What brings you to Positano?
- There is nothing to regret.
- Patti: Think of your inner voice.
- Frances: Inner voice... "What the fuck am I doing on a gay tour of Tuscany?"
- Frances: Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you. Like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly. You shouldn't have to wake up day after day after that, trying to understand how in the world you didn't know. The light just never went on, you know. I must have known, of course, but I was too scared to see the truth. Then fear just makes you so stupid.
- Martini: No, it's not stupid, Signora Mayes. L'amore e cieco.
- Frances: Oh, love is blind. Yeah, we have that saying too.
- Martini: Everybody has that saying because it's true everywhere.
- Frances: Do traffic lights mean anythng around here?
- Marcello: Yeah, sure. Green light — avanti, avanti. Yellow light — decoration.
- Frances: What about red light?
- Marcello: Just a suggestion.
- Katherine: It's a nice little villa. Rather run down, but redeemable... Are you going to buy it?
- Frances: The way my life is currently going, that would be a terrible idea.
- Katherine: Mm, terrible idea... Don't you just love those?
- Patti: There's something strange about these trees. It's like they know.
- Frances: And they know that we know that they know.
- Patti: They're creepy. Creepy Italian trees. Of course, the baby's going to like them cause it's going to be a creepy Italian baby who goes around saying things like 'Ciao mama' and doing that weird backward hand wave thing. Life is strange.
- Frances: What if this is it? The real thing?
- Placido: What you speak of is only in fairy tales.
- Frances: No, it's not!
- Placido: And how do you know? From personal experience?
- Frances: No. I looked, and I didn't find it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
- Frances: What are you thinking?
- Martini: What do I think?
- Frances: Tell me.
- Martini: I think you got your wish.
- Frances: My wish?
- Martini: On that day we looked for the snake, you said there wanted there to be a wedding here. And you said... you wanted there to be a family here.
- Frances: You're right... I got my wish. I got everything I asked for.
- Life offers you a thousand chances ... all you have to do is take one.
- The Only Thing More Surprising Than The Chance She's Taking...Is Where It's Taking Her