The Ice House (1992) is the first crime novel by English writer Minette Walters. The story was the recipient of a John Creasey award for best debut.
- Our reputation has obviously preceeded us. Don't worry shaking hands with a lesbian is perfectly safe.
- I have nothing against dykes Miss Cattrell, just wouldn't put my finger in one.
- The only disabilities that idiot has are both in his trousers. He's a prick and an arsehole.
- Did you know where the ice house was?
- Well, what did you think the hillock was?
- A hillock probably.
- You've lived here for 9 years, surely you must have explored the grounds.
- Do I look like someone who takes exercise?
- You're very slim.
- Well, I eat very little, drink neat spirits and smoke like a chimmney. It does wonders for the figure.