This page should probably be arrranged by sura and not by more arbitrary topics. I am posting some quotes that were posten on the page for Muhammad here for now, until I have the time to deal with this and a few other pages more thoroughly. ~ Kalki 16:02, 13 September 2006 (UTC)
- Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war. Qur’an:9:5
- The Believers fight in Allah’s Cause, they slay and are slain, kill and are killed. Qur’an:9:112
- Fight those who do not believe until they all surrender, paying the protective tax in submission. Qur’an:9:29
- Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah. Qur’an:8:39
- So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world). Qur’an:8:39
- Fight them and Allah will punish them by your hands, lay them low, and cover them with shame. He will help you over them. Qur’an:9:14
- Believers, what is the matter with you, that when you are asked to go forth and fight in Allah’s Cause you cling to the earth? Do you prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? Unless you go forth, He will afflict and punish you with a painful doom, and put others in your place. Qur’an:9:38
- Fight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you. Qur’an:9:123
- The Messenger and those who believe with him, strive hard and fight with their wealth and lives in Allah’s Cause. Qur’an:9:88
- O Prophet, urge the faithful to fight. If there are twenty among you with determination they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding. Qur’an:8:65
- The revelation of the scripture is from Allah, The Mighty, The Wise. Qur’an:45:2
- And He has set firm mountains in the earth so that it would not shake with you. Qur’an:16:15
- Have you not seen how God makes the clouds move gently, then joins them together, then makes them into a stack, and then you see the rain come out of it. Qur’an: 24:43
- Just in case anyone is unaware of this, the above quotations are taken out of context, originally by hatemongers making the same kinds of arguments about Muslims that the Nazis used to make against Jews.
- For example, the very first one seems to say all unbelievers should be killed, but back in the real world this is a passage referring to a specific war being fought in Muhammad's own day, and specific "unbelievers" who had attacked the very people he's addressing. Those specific unbelievers had made a peace treaty with the people he's addressing, then broken it and attacked again. He's saying only to attack those treaty-breakers. The line immediately before that actually mentions this, specifying that the people who hadn't broken treaties were to be treated differently:
- "Except those of the unbelievers with whom you have a treaty, and who have not subsequently failed you in aught, nor have supported anyone against you. So fulfill their treaty to them to the end of their term. Surely Allah loves the pious" Qur'an:9:4
- ...and the line FOLLOWING the "kill the disbelievers" line says that if any disbelievers seek your protection, give it to them:
- "And if anyone of the unbelievers (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) seeks your protection then grant him protection, so that he may hear the Word of Allah (the Qur'an), and then escort him to where he can be secure, that is because they are men who know not." Qur'an:9:6
- These hatemonger quips are a great example of how one can lie using exact quotations. They are even more vile and dishonest than if one simply made up entirely fictional quotes and made the same claims. It's as if some atheists posted the "suffer not a witch to live" quote from the Bible and claimed it was proof that Christians secretly want to murder children who are Trick-or-Treating. — Kazvorpal (talk) 15:50, 20 December 2015 (UTC)
Quran as political charterEdit
The Quran is a political document used by many Islamic nations as a constitution; Libya's constitution (Article 2 of the one adopted in 1977), Saudi Arabia's Basic Law, Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, etc. make this clear. Ergo, I add [[Category:Politics]] to this page.--Inesculent 11:18, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
Quotes about the Qu'ran by Notable People Being Deleted or SuppressedEdit
Several quotes about the Qu'ran by notable people are being deleted or suppressed. I have included them here within a comment so that they may be easily added back should this problem recur. Écrasez l'infâme 03:04, 13 July 2008 (UTC)
Use English punctuation in English language wiki, if there is genuinely a missing letter insert the letter if not then don't use that punctuation. Traditionally the transliteration has been Koran, Quran is a slightly altered sound and is more popular recently. We have an English Language word we should use it. 220.127.116.11 11:51, 23 September 2009 (UTC)
- Do not support: This version of the title is not meant to use the apostrophe for the English meaning of "missing character" but rather for the pronunciation ambiguity. This is by far the accepted (modern) academic English rendering of the term (Note older English will use Koran (along with Mohammedan, which is clearly no longer acceptable)).
- Support: IOHANNVSVERVS (talk) 10:18, 30 December 2015 (UTC).
- Support: That's how it is on Wikipedia, that's how it should be on here. – Illegitimate Barrister, 22:37, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
- Support: I support Wikipedia's decision to adopt the more commonly used English name. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:56, 25 September 2016 (UTC)
Quotes from "Qur'an on peace"Edit
"Qur'an on peace" was nominated for deletion, and the consensus was to merge it here. Most of the quotes on that page could already be found here, but three could not. I am putting those here for the editors of this page to decide if they should be included here, and if these are the best versions/translations to use.
- And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace,
- Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection).
- And do not kill your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. Indeed, their killing is ever a great sin.