Monster House (film)
Monster House is a 2006 American computer animated fantasy film, released on July 21, 2006 produced by ImageMovers and Amblin Entertainment, and distributed by Columbia Pictures. Executive produced by Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg, this is the first time since Back to the Future Part III.
- I'm a murderer.
- Uh. puberty. Yeah, I'm having lots and lots of puberty.
- I kissed a girl. I kissed a girl on the lips.
- We're dead. [to DJ] You've killed us, and now we're dead!
- The house is alive!
- You ain't nothing! You're a shack! You're an outhouse!
- [to DJ and Chowder] Are you guys mentally challenged? Because if you are, then I'm certified to teach you baseball.
- My trike.
- What happened to Nebbercracker's house?
- Trick or treat!
- This is my house! Why can't you respect that?! Why can't you just stay away from-- Oh! Urgh...! [Nebbercracker suffers a heart attack and makes mean faces, his back cracks and falls down to the ground]
- I know you can do it.
- Go on!
- We're brave!
- One cycle, coming up.
- Mr. Nebbercracker: [to Eliza] Get off my lawn!
- [Eliza shrieks in horror as she helplessly tries to get her trike off the lawn]
- Nebbercracker: Arrrrgh, trespasser!!! Do you want to be eaten alive???
- Eliza: No.
- Nebbercracker: Then get out of here!
- Eliza: [shrieks and runs away from him, but forgets her trike in the process] My trike.
- Nebbercracker: [angrily takes the tike off the lawn and rips the wheels off, growling menacingly; Eliza runs away, sobbing, never to be seen again] Stay away from my house!!
- Nebbercracker: You!
- Nebbercracker: Constance. Oh, now. There, there. My sweet. You got a bad girl, aren't you? You hurt people. Oh Constance. Oh we always known to stay with come. Haven't we? I have to make things right. I have to make things right. Constance? That's l always done best for you, haven't I? Haven't I, girl? Constance?
- Mr. Nebbercracker: Take this.
- Mr. Nebbercracker: You have to help me, please? I know you can do it. Go on!
- [from the trailer]
- Mom: We'll be back tomorrow night. Oh, if anything happens, call the police and hide in your closet.
- Dad: He knows that.
- Skull: Calm down! You make me want to throw up in some tin foil and eat it!
- DJ: I'm a murderer.
- Chowder: No, you're not. When it's an accident, they call it manslaughter.
- Jenny: There!
- [waves flashlight at chandelier]
- Jenny: Well, if those are the teeth, and that's the tongue, then that must be the uvula.
- Chowder: Oh, so it's a girl house...
- Jenny: [looks at him] What?
- DJ: Mr. Nebbercracker! [Nebbercracker turns around, glaring at DJ] I know about Constance. [The house growls while watching DJ's re-encounter with Nebbercracker]
- Nebbercracker: You what? What do you know? You don't know anything! You were in my house? You-- [He tries to lunge at DJ, but he nearly falls, DJ save him from the fall and Nebbercracker recognizes DJ]
- DJ: You didn't kill her, did you?
- [Nebbercracker shakes his head and starts to remember]
- Mr. Nebbercracker: I love her so much.
- [Nebbercracker is shown in a flashback, watching Constance in the circus, having tomatoes thrown at her, and alone that night]
- Young Nebbercracker: Hello?
- Constance: Ah!
- Young Nebbercracker: I can take you away from here. Would you like that?
- Constance: Yes!
- [Nebbercracker ties her cage to his truck, and drives Constance away from the circus, taking her to an empty sold spot for building the house]
- Young Nebbercracker: Okay, open your eyes. [She does so] Okay, it's not much, I know, but--
- Constance: Darling!
- [Constance picks him up and takes him to the spot as the house starts building, rocks are being thrown at it, and Constance descends the spiral staircase]
- Constance: Ah! Get away from my house! I'll rip them to bits. Help!
- [Young Nebbercracker chops off the cage door with an axe and hears Constance's yells for help]
- Young Nebbercracker: Constance!
- Constance: Help! Help!
- Young Nebbercracker: What's wrong? Are you hurt?
- Constance: Hurt!? Yes, I'm hurt! Those criminals are attacking our house!
- Teenage Bully: Trick or treat!
- Young Nebbercracker: Now, now, they're- they're just kids, dear. It's Halloween.
- Constance: No, no, no, it's my house, and they're HURTING ME!!!
- Young Nebbercracker: Constance! Look at me! Look at me! [He turns her face towards him] As long as I'm here, I will never let anyone hurt you. [An egg is thrown at her]
- Constance: Ah!
- Young Nebbercracker: Constance!
- [Constance takes the axe from him]
- Constance: You vandals! [The bullies continue throwing eggs at her as she swings the axe to hurt them]
- Teenage Bully: Eat this!
- Constance: You hooligans! I'll get you!
- Young Nebbercracker: Constance, no! [He tries to take the axe from her, but she accidentally hits him, knocking him out and she falls into the pit below the house, dropping cement on herself. The flashback ends with the finished house.]
- Mr. Nebbercracker: So, I finished the house. She would have wanted that. [A boy rides by the house on a bicycle, throwing a newspaper at it] She died, but she didn't leave. [The newspaper is thrown back at the biker, hitting him and making him fall off the bike causing it and other newspapers to fall out, cut to him hammering a "BEWARE sign in front of the house, then a trio of kids in Halloween costumes in front of the house] And that night, that, that one night of every year, I had to take precautions.
- Halloween Bully: [he and the other two start throwing things at the house] Trick or treat!
- Mr. Nebbercracker: I had to. I had to.
- Young Nebbercracker: HEY!!! STAY AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!!!
- [The scene changes back to the present]
- Mr. Nebbercracker: She attacks anyone who comes near! [He backs away from DJ] Go!
About Monster House (film)Edit
- We had to build an incredibly robust character because the story demanded it. We mapped out where every board would break, how they would break, etc. Character rigging supervisor JJ Blumenkranz and his crew had to get all the right pieces moving in the just the right way. The texturing part of the house is also incredibly complex. Audiences may not notice right away, but the house breaks down over the course of the film. There are many, many layers of paint on the house, and this all had to be created in textures and shaders. It is one of the most complex characters I have ever been involved in creating!
- Our characters in Monkey House are indeed human, but we always approached them as stylized almost as if they were puppets. If you look at their proportions, you will notice that the heads, eyes, hands, and feet are larger than they should be. Also, we didnt concern ourselves with moisture, eyelashes or even real hair. We started our character modeling by creating actual clay sculptures of each character. Once a sculpture was approved, it was laser-scanned in, and final clean-up and patching, costumes, etc. were created. The most interesting aspect here is that we avoided symmetry at all costs. So many people model one side of a character and then simply mirror and flip to get the other side, which is highly unnatural. Admittedly, modeling and rigging non-symmetrical characters is a lot more work for the crew, but the results are so much more interesting and subliminal.
- Visual effects supervisor Jay Red in "'Monster House': Capturing a Haunted Tale", by Alain Bielik, Animation World Network, Friday, July 21, 2006.
- There Goes The Neighborhood.
- This Summer......Cross Over to the Other Side........Of the Street.
- A living, breathing, nightmare of a house!
- Welcome to the Fun House!
- Three Kids. One House. It's Alive!
- Hide Your Children. This House Will Eat Them!
- The House is . . . ALIVE!
- It's up to them to save the neighbourhood
- Mitchel Musso – Dustin J. "DJ" Walters
- Sam Lerner – Charles "Chowder"
- Spencer Locke – Jennifer "Jenny" Bennett
- Steve Buscemi – Horace Nebbercracker
- Maggie Gyllenhaal – Elizabeth "Zee"
- Catherine O'Hara – Mrs. Walters
- Fred Willard – Mr. Walters
- Jason Lee – Bones
- Jon Heder – Reginald "Skull" Skulinski
- Kevin James – Officer Landers
- Nick Cannon – Officer Lester
- Kathleen Turner – Constance