The King and the Mockingbird
1952 film by Paul Grimault(Redirected from Le Roi et l'Oiseau)
The King and the Mockingbird (French: Le Roi et l'Oiseau, literally The King and the Bird) is a 1980 traditionally-animated film. It won the Prix Louis Delluc award in 1979, and is today regarded as a masterpiece of French animation.
- Ah! Never would I have believed that the sky could be so beautiful.
- The Shepherdess: Who do you like?
- The Chimney Sweep: Me? I love only you. And you?
- The Shepherdess: Me too, I love only you! You are the nicest chimney sweeper I ever knew.
- The Chimney Sweep: And you are the prettiest shepherdess I ever saw.
- The Shepherdess: Have you seen many others?
- The Chimney Sweep: No, nor have I ever dreamed of another.
- The Statue: Believe in my long experience: I already said it to you both a hundred times, you are not made for one another. For starters you do not have the same colour. A shepherdess... and a chimney sweeper! It is out of the question! Out of the question!
- The Shepherdess: The Earth is a nice place.
- The Bird: That it is.
- The Bird: Be careful children. Many will be after you. Do not panic! If things become complicated, call me. I'll come and help you!
- The Shepherdess: But how will we call you?
- The Bird: Just shout 'Bird'! And the bird will come!
- The Blind: Hello, children. Who are you? Where are you from? Do you bring news? Does this world truly exist? Is it true that the Sun is shining?
- The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep: [in unison] Yes, it is true. We can see it.
- The Blind: How is it?
- The Chimney Sweep: It shines. It is very yellow!
- The Shepherdess: It is golden when it rises and any red when it sets.
- The Chimney Sweep: We saw the Moon too. We can tell you what it's like!
- The Shepherdess: The Bird explained it to us!
- The Blind: 'The Bird'? They also saw a bird! I told you friends! We are saved! The world exists! The Sun is shining! And there are birds! Ah life is beautiful! We will all see that one day!
- Le Roi et l'Oiseau — French script online.