Charles McRay Blow
Charles McRay Blow (August 11, 1970) is an American journalist, commentator, and op-ed columnist for The New York Times.
- …There is a lot of bi-phobia and bi-erasure that exists in society but I find it to be a tremendous distraction from living your life, so I don't give any energy to that. ... I am who I am. This is a lived experience for me…
- On the discrimination experienced by bisexual individuals in “After Childhood Abuse, 'Times' Columnist Says He Chose Life Over Vengeance” in NPR (2014 Sep 24)
- …On the one end, the abuse is making these young people LGBT. The science for that is completely flimsy. I completely disagree with that idea. On the other side ... children who will eventually identify as LGBT are more likely to be targets of sexual predators. If you think of it that way, it changes our concept of how we need to nurture and care for children who are different. ...
- On LGBT young people being sexually abused in “After Childhood Abuse, 'Times' Columnist Says He Chose Life Over Vengeance” in NPR (2014 Sep 24)
- I think that’s a good way to put it. I told someone recently that I feel like a folk artist among fine artists. And I love it, because the columnists are a sort of orchestra—every one should be hitting a different note. Trying to figure out the thing that makes you stand out can take years to find. Eventually I decided that being the Southern guy, from the small town, from no means, was, in fact, the thing that made my voice different.
- On being an opinion writer that is both Black and bisexual in “New York Times Opinion Columnist Charles Blow Celebrates Himself in New Memoir” in the Observer (2014 Sep 24)
- …it’s not a term I reject. It’s a term that I came slow to using. I had a desire to want something that was more personal and more precise and less freighted and not an umbrella term, but, in a way, all identity terms are umbrella terms. Now I’m incredibly comfortable with the term.
- On initially struggling to identify as bisexual in “New York Times Opinion Columnist Charles Blow Celebrates Himself in New Memoir” in the Observer (2014 Sep 24)