- I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz. I have lived three hundred years, and I long to die. But death is no longer possible. I am immortal. I present now my story, full of mystery and intrigue — rich in irony, and most satirical. It is set deep in a possible future, so none of these events have yet occurred, but they may. Be warned, lest you end as I. In this tale, I am a fake god by occupation and a magician by inclination. Merlin is my hero. I am the puppet master. I manipulate many of the characters and events that you see. But I am invented, too, for your entertainment and amusement. And you, poor creatures, who conjured you out of the clay? [chuckles] Is God in show business, too?
Zardoz ( Arthur Frayn through the "Stone-head" )Edit
Zardoz, speaks to you, his chosen ones. You have been raised up from brutality to kill the brutals that multiply and are legion. To this end, Zardoz, gave you the gift of the gun. The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds and makes new life to poison the earth with a plague of man, as once it was. But the gun shoots death and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill. Zardoz has spoken.
- Sleep was necessary for man when his waking and unconscious lives were separated, as eternals achieved total consciousness. Sleep became obsolete, and second level meditation took its place.
- You have penetrated me. There is no escape. You are within me. Come into my center... Come into the center of the crystal.
- Friend: Arthur! We've all been used...
- Arthur Frayn: ...and reused...
- Friend: ...and abused...
- Arthur Frayn: ...and amused! [laughs]
- Zardoz: Zardoz speaks to you, his chosen ones. You have been raised up from brutality, to kill the brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your god gave you the gift of the gun. The gun is good.
- Exterminators: The gun is good.
- Zardoz: The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!
- Arthur Frayn: It was I! I bred you! I led you!
- Zed: And I have looked into the face of the force which put the idea in your head. You are bred and led yourself.
Quotes about ZardozEdit
- ...a genuinely quirky movie, a trip into a future that seems ruled by perpetually stoned set decorators ... The movie is an exercise in self-indulgence (if often an interesting one) by Boorman, who more or less had carte blanche to do a personal project after his immensely successful Deliverance.
- Um, it was the 70's, and I was doing a lot of drugs. Frankly, even I'm not entirely sure what parts of the movie are about.
- Beyond 1984, Beyond 2001, Beyond Love, Beyond Death.
- I have seen the future and it doesn't work.
- Into a world of eternal life, he brought the gift of death.
- Zardoz at IMDb