|This page is an official policy on Wikiquote.
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Please do not make significant changes to this page without prior discussion.
The aim of Wikiquote is to collect and present quotations. The presentation is supplemented with images from Wikimedia Commons that illustrate the subject of the article or the quotations therein. Image use is governed by Wikiquote's general content policies, and should always be directly relevant to subject of the article or the quotations.
Accord with other major policiesEdit
Image use on Wikiquote must accord with other major policies on this project, including:
- Pages on particular authors should include at least one image of that author, if a free image is available.
- Pages on a tangible, concrete subject such as gold, horses, or blacksmiths, should include at least one image of that thing.
- Pages on abstract concepts for which there are images or symbols closely associated with that concept such as Love, Judaism, and Law, should include at least one such closely associated image or symbol.
- Images should directly support or embody the theme of the provided quotes.
- The connection between the images used and the subject matter of the page as a whole, and individual quotes on it, should be obvious and specific. The relevance should not be so ambiguous or abstract that it could refer to anything or nothing.
- Images are used to illustrate the subject of a page or a quote, not to express an opinion, interpretation, or commentary by, e.g., introducing metaphors, analogies, comparisons, or relationships that are not explicit in the captioning quotation, or by highlighting arbitrary, literal meanings of words used in a figurative sense.
- Images that could connote a specific cultural meaning that differs from that of either the page or the specified quote should not be used.
An image that is not a literal representation of the subject of the page may be removed by any editor who believes it to be inappropriate. Thereafter, it should not be re-added without first obtaining consensus on the article talk page.
- All editors can utilize images from Wikimedia Commons, which contains over 10,000,000 multimedia files, and also are encouraged to upload images or media files there under free license(s) compatible with the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License, or in the public domain.
- Wikiquote does not host images itself. Uploads are disabled on Wikiquote.