Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of Vietnam (SRV; Vietnamese: Cộng hòa Xã hội Chủ nghĩa Việt Nam) is the easternmost country on the Indochina Peninsula in Southeast Asia. With an estimated 90.5 million inhabitants as of 2014, it is the world's 13th-most-populous country, and the eighth-most-populous Asian country. The name Vietnam translates as "Southern Viet" (synonymous with the much older term Nam Viet); it was first officially adopted in 1802 by Emperor Gia Long, and was adopted again in 1945 with the founding of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh. The country is bordered by China to the north, Laos to the northwest, Cambodia to the southwest, and the South China Sea to the east. Its capital city has been Hanoi since the reunification of North and South Vietnam in 1976, following the conclusion of the Vietnam War.
|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I used to see Vietnam as a war rather than a country.
- John Pilger, as quoted in Do you remember Vietnam? (1978).
- We lost, everyday, Vietnamese life, in fighting the communists.
- American democracy, maybe, cannot work in a country like mine, you know, in South Vietnam.
- I remember that day clearly when I left Saigon. I left my country in honor that day.
- China presents Vietnam with a very big problem. China is taking over Vietnam, from Cholon, where there are rich Chinese, to Haiphong. They are everywhere now with their product. My wife is from the North, people there resent China more than the South feared the Viet Cong. The Chinese are invaders — like any other foreigners — to fight. We must stop the Chinese. You know the dikes built on the Red River? If they break, what happens? A flood!
- All independent religions are banned [in Vietnam]. Only economically speaking we are better [since the collapse of South Vietnam in 1975]. But politically speaking nothing changes.
- Thích Quảng Độ. . (2007-12-20). In My View: Vietnam's Buddhist Monk Thich Quang Do
- This is the largest anti-Chinese demonstration I have ever seen in Hanoi. Our patience has limits. We are here to express the will of the Vietnamese people to defend our territory at all costs. We are ready to die to protect our nation.
- A war veteran named Dang Quang Thang told the AFP news agency, "Vietnam protestors attack China over sea disuptes", May 11, 2014.
|Find more information on Vietnam by searching Wikiquote's sister projects|
|Encyclopedia articles from Wikipedia|
|Dictionary definitions from Wiktionary|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Images and media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|