The Uyghur (also spelled Uighur; Uyghur: ئۇيغۇر;) are an ethnic group of Central Asia. They are one of China's 56 officially recognized ethnicities. Here are quotes from famous scholars' about them.
- Uyghurs are the best among Turks. Their language is called Hakaniye Turkchesi (King's Turkish).
- Kashgarli Mehmud, Divanü Lügat-it-Türk (The Dictionary of Turkic Languages), 1072
- Turfan (Turpan) is without doubt a forgotten Asian city of extraordinary interest. The size of it is remarkable: the inner, holy city, consisting only of temples and palace, measures 7,400 feet at the widest point of the still extant walls. Hundreds of terraced temples and grandiose vaulted edifices cover an extensive area of lane.
- The Uyghur language and script contributed to the enrichment of civilizations of the other peoples in Central Asia. Compared to the Europeans of that time, the Uyghurs were far more advanced. Documents discovered in Uyghur Region prove that an Uyghur farmer could write down a contract, using legal terminology. How many European farmers could have done that at that period? This shows the extent of Uygur civilization of that time.
- Shuyl Unver, Medicine in Uyghurs, Istanbul, 1936. pp. 4-6.
- The Uyghurs knew how to print books centuries before Guetenberg invented his press.
- Lazlo Rasonyi, Turkic in History, Ankara, 1971, pp. 105, 107
- In Middle Ages, the Chinese poetry, literature, theater, music and painting were greatly influenced by the Uyghurs.
- Wolfram Eberhard, History of China, Istanbul, 1947, p. 116
- Russian scholar Pantusov writes that the Uyghurs manufactured their own musical instruments; they had 62 different kinds of musical instruments and in every Uyghur home there used to be an instrument called a "dutar".
- Brief History of Uyghur Literature, Almaty, 1983, p. 7.
Last modified on 30 October 2009, at 05:09↑Jump back a section
- Those who preserved the language and written culture of Central Asia were the Uyghurs.
- Ferdinand de Saussure
- I was impressed with the extensive civilization I have found in the Uyghur Kingdom. The beauty of the temples, monasteries, wall paintings, statues, towers, gardens, housings and the palaces built throughout the kingdom cannot be described. The Uyghurs skilfully make things of silver and gold, vases and pitchers. Some say that God has infused this talent into these people only.
- Chinese ambassador in the Karakhoja Uyghur Kingdom in 981-984