- By utility is meant that property is any object, whereby it tends to produce benefit, advantage, pleasure, good, or happiness(all this in the present case come to the same thing) or (what comes again to the same thing) to prevent the happening of mischief, pain, evil or unhappiness to the party who whose is considered: if that party be the community in general, then the happiness of the community; if a particular individual; then the happiness of that individual
- Jeremy Bentham, An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, 1798.
- Perfect the Will, the Mind, Feeling, their corporeal organs and their material tools; be useful to yourselves, to your own ones, and to others; and Happiness, insofar as it exists on this earth, will come of itself.
- It's the flock, the grove, that matters. Our responsibility is to species, not to specimens; to communities, not to individuals.
- Sara Stein, Noah's Garden, 1998.
Last modified on 6 July 2012, at 15:46