- For a quick overview of what Wikiquote is, read Wikiquote:Wikiquote.
- Also see What Wikiquote is not for common activities that Wikiquote does not support.
- To ask for help or to talk with another editor, visit our Village pump.
- To browse Wikiquote, take a look at our browsing start page.
- Before creating new articles, consult our guide. You may practice how to edit a page at Sandbox.
- Please remember to use edit summaries when editing pages.
- When posting to a discussion, please sign with a date by writing four tildes (~~~~) and saving.
- Be bold.
Last modified on 15 June 2008, at 03:28↑Jump back a section
I've just added your name to our AWB checkpage. I apologize for the procedural delay. I see you've been doing quite a bit of badly needed cleanup, so I'm happy to finally set you up. I would ask two things of you as you continue your good work:
- When you use material from a Wikipedia article to improve Wikiquote article intros, please include a link to the specific WP article in your edit summary (e.g., "added intro based on w:Charlie Chan"). Wikipedia's GFDL license requires an acknowledgement of the source of this use, and the fact that we're also a Wikimedia project doesn't relieve us of the responsibility to provide this credit. (We're not entirely sure the edit-summary credit alone is adequate, but that's currently our operating assumption.)
- Please assume good faith when removing inappropriate material added to articles, as you recently did for The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Vandalism is obvious defacement of an article, but messages like Crocketmeow's are usually good-faith attempts to correct or avoid problems that are simply misplaced or otherwise not in keeping with our practices. Calling something like this "vandalism" unnecessarily impugns the efforts of editors who should instead be convinced to follow those practices.
- Thank you for adding me to the AWB checkpage. I apologize for my lack of understanding of the local policy. Regarding the diff you provided, I was merely removing what I considered to be vandalism. I was not aware of the user who made the comment, and I certainly was not attempting to assume bad faith of him/her in any way. In any case, it was probably an isolated incidence and I will be careful not to use any potentially offensive edit summaries. Thanks again. — Wenli (reply here) 22:09, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
- Well, it's hard to understand a policy that doesn't exist. I had no idea we even had a checkpage set up. (I assume that some time after I got AWB-enabled, it became useful and/or necessary to create one in order for AWB to work here. I don't recall any discussion on the matter.) Wikiquote still does quite a bit of stuff informally, but that becomes a problem when no one responds to requests like yours in a reasonable time. (You did, after all, post your request to WQ:AN, just as WQ:AWB/CP said to do.) I'm afraid we're still working on how much formalism we need to ensure that the editors we have can get the required tasks done as they're needed. Like most things in this world, there are no obvious "right" answers. Thanks again for your patience on this matter. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 03:28, 15 June 2008 (UTC)