Ulema are experts in Islamic laws.
- Oh Allah, we are told sometimes that they [the ulama] are fundamentalists, sometimes it is said they are obscurantists, sometimes it is said they are illiterates… sometimes it is said they are terrorists.
- Umm Hassan, the wife of Maulana Abdul Aziz and director of the Jamia Hafsa Madarsa, speaking in support of Maulana Abdul Rashid Ghazi, Who Are the Women in the Islamabad Standoff? A Look Inside the Jamia Hafsa Madarsa. MEMRI (July 10, 2007).
- The mullahs are religiously-driven extremists, and they’re not like other nation-states. It’s very difficult to sit, sit across the table from them and, and, and have negotiations that make intellectual sense to us, but does not to them because they’re—they have a different drive. They consider us the, the great Satan. Israel’s the little Satan, and we know what their plans are for them. But they consider us the great Satan...
- ...the Zionist-Crusader alliance resorted to killing and arresting the truthful Ulama and the working Da'ees (We are not praising or sanctifying them; Allah sanctify whom He pleased). They killed the Mujahid Sheikh Abdullah Azzaam, and they arrested the Mujahid Sheikh Ahmad Yaseen and the Mujahid Sheikh Omar Abdur Rahman (in America).
- Sheikh Osama bin Laden in his 1996 fatwa, "Declaration of War against the Americans Occupying the Land of the Two Holy Places.",