The Music Man is a musical with book, music, and lyrics by Meredith Willson. The plot concerns con man Harold Hill, who poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to naive townsfolk before skipping town with the cash.
|This Theatre article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you're left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering."
- "A man can't turn tail and run just because a little personal risk is involved. What did Shakespeare say? 'Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500'? "
- "It means, that America has finally produced a genius who can play the minute waltz in 50 seconds!"
- "Never allow the demands of tomorrow to interfere with the pleasure and excitement of today."
- Harold: Gentlemen you intrigue me. I think I'll have to give Iowa a try.
Charlie: Don't believe I caught your name.
Harold: (holds up suitcase with his name on it) I don't believe I dropped it.
- Harold: Fine looking animal.
Townsman 1: For a horse, yeah.
Harold: (walks off and tries again) Good morning neighbor. Could you kindly direct me which way is the center of town?
Townsman 2: (looks at him) Runs right down the middle of the street.
Harold: (tips hat and walks off) Excuse me friend. Where would I find a good hotel?
Townsman 3: Try the Palmer house in Chicago.
Harold: (walks away again) Good morning neighbor. I'm a stranger in your town, what do you folks do around here for excitement?
Undertaker: Mind our business.
- Marsellus: The billiard parlor's just put in a new pool table.
Harold: They never had a pool table before?
Marsellus: No, only Billiards.
- "It's Capulets like you that make blood in the market place, Ye Gods!"
- Zaneeta Shinn
- "You watch your phrasology!"
- Mayor Shinn
- "I can't believe I almost missed this oppourtunity! Wait a minute... I haven't got any son!"
- Mayor Shinn
- "Ever meet a fella by the name of Hill?
- Rock Island
- "But what the heck? You're welcome! Join us at the picnic, you can have your fill of all the food you bring yourself."
- Iowa Stubborn
- "All I want is a plain man
All I want is a modest man
A quiet man, a gentle man
A straightforward and honest man
to sit with me
In a cottage
Somewhere in the state of Iowa
And I would like him to be
More interested in me
Than he is in himself
And more interested in us
Than in me."
- My White Knight
- "Trouble. I'm talkin' 'bout trouble, with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for pool."
- Ya Got Trouble
- "Why sure, I'm a billiard player, certainly, I'm mighty proud to say it, always mighty proud to say it! I consider the hours that I spend with a cue in my hand are golden! It helps you cultivate a horse sense. A cool head, and a keen eye. Now folks, let me tell you what i mean. You got 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pockets on a table! Pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman and a bum! That's a capital B That rhymes with P that stands for pool!"
- Ya Got Trouble
- Seventy-six trombones led the big parade.
- Seventy-six Trombones