The Hunger Games is a 2012 American dystopian science fiction action-drama film set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television. A girl volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.
- Directed by Gary Ross. Written by Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, and Billy Ray, based on Collins' novel of the same name.
- I volunteer! No! I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!
- You know what my mother said? 'It looks like District 12 may finally have a winner.' But she wasn't talking about me. She was talking about you.
- [voiceover] War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice. The lone champion, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future.
- That is mahogany!
- Embrace the probability of your imminent death, and know in your heart that there's nothing I can do to save you.
- [Holding Peeta hostage] Go on! Shoot, then we both go down and you win. Go on! I'm dead anyway! I always was, right? I didn't know that until now. [Readies to break Peeta's neck] How's that, is that what they want? Huh? I can still do this!... I can still do this. One more kill. It's the only thing I know how to do. Bringing pride to my district! Not that it matters.
- Caesar Flickerman: What did you say to your sister when you volunteered at the Reaping?
- Katniss Everdeen: I told her I would try to win. That I would try to win, for her.
- Flickerman: Of course you did. And try you will.
- Caesar Flickerman: So Peeta. Tell me. Is there a special girl back home?
- Peeta Mellark: No. No, not really.
- Flickerman: No? I don't believe it it for a second, look at that face! Handsome man like you! Peeta. Tell me.
- Peeta: Well, there, uh... There is this one girl that I've had a crush on forever.
- Flickerman: Well, I'll tell you what Peeta. You go out there, and you win this thing, and when you get home- she'll have to go out with you!
- Peeta: Thanks, but I, uh. I don't think winning's gonna help me at all.
- Flickerman: And why not?
- Peeta: Because... she came here with me.
- Flickerman: [Dismayed] Well, that's bad luck.
- Peeta: Yeah....
- Flickerman: And I wish you all the best of luck. Peeta Mellark! District 12!
- Clove Kentwell: Where's lover boy? Oh I see. You were gonna help him right? Well that's sweet. It's too bad you couldn't help your little friend. That little girl, what was her name again? [Katniss struggles violently] Rue? Yeah, well we killed her. [She pulls a knife out of her jacket] And now we're going to kill you.[Thresh comes running, grabs Clove and pins her against the cornucopia]
- Thresh Morrowson: You kill her?
- Clove Kentwell: No! NO! It wasn't me!
- Thresh Morrowson: I heard you!
- Clove Kentwell: Cato! CATO!
- Thresh Morrowson: SAY HER NAME! [He bangs Clove against the Cornucopia multiple times, killing her] Just this time, 12. For Rue.
- Katniss Everdeen: Thank you. [She runs away]
- Peeta Mellark: I just don't want them change me.
- Katniss Everdeen: How will they change you?
- Peeta Mellark: I don't know. Turn me into something I'm not. I just don't want to be another piece in their game, you know?
- Katniss Everdeen: You mean you won't kill anyone?
- Peeta Mellark: No... I mean, I'm sure I would just like anyone else when the time came but I just keep wishing I could think of a way to show them, that they don't own me. If I'm gonna die, I wanna still be me.
- Katniss Everdeen: Yeah... I just can't afford to think like that.
- Peeta Mellark: Yeah, I know.
- President Snow: Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective, a lot of hope is dangerous. A spark is fine, as long as it's contained.
- Seneca Crane: [confused] So...
- President Snow: So, contain it!
- Haymitch Abernathy: They aren't very happy with you.
- Katniss Everdeen: Why, because I didn't die?
- Haymitch Abernathy: Because you showed them up.
- Katniss Everdeen: [Sarcastic] Well. I'm sorry it didn't go the way they'd planned; you know, I'm not very happy with them either-
- Haymitch Abernathy: Katniss. This is serious. And not just for you. They don't take these things lightly.
- May the Odds be Ever in your Favor
- The Games Will Change Everyone
- The World Will Be Watching
- Jennifer Lawrence - Katniss Everdeen
- Josh Hutcherson - Peeta Mellark
- Liam Hemsworth - Gale Hawthorne
- Woody Harrelson - Haymitch Abernathy
- Elizabeth Banks - Effie Trinket
- Lenny Kravitz - Cinna
- Stanley Tucci - Caesar Flickerman
- Donald Sutherland - President Coriolanus Snow
- Wes Bentley - Seneca Crane
- Toby Jones - Claudius Templesmith
- Alexander Ludwig - Cato
- Isabelle Fuhrman - Clove
- Amandla Stenberg - Rue
- Jack Quaid - Marvel
- Leven Rambin - Glimmer
- Dayo Okeniyi - Thresh
- Jacqueline Emerson - Foxface
- Paula Malcomson - Mrs. Everdeen
- Willow Shields - Primrose Everdeen