The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the 2013 epic fantasy adventure film and the second installment in The Hobbit motion picture trilogy based on the novel by J. R. R. Tolkien. It tells the tale of Bilbo and his journey to the Lonely Mountain with Thirteen Dwarves and a wizard named Gandalf the Grey, to reclaim the treasure stolen by Smaug the dragon. Directed by Peter Jackson. Written by Frances Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson.
- Truly the tales and songs fall utterly short of your enormity, O Smaug the Stupendous...
- (final line) What have we done?
- We've been blind, and in our blindness, our enemy has returned.
- There is no King Under the Mountain, nor will there ever be!
- Do not think I won't kill you dwarf!
- Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so it will ever be. In time all foul things come forth!
- Where does your journey end? You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. A quest to reclaim a homeland, and slay a dragon!
- Do not talk to me of dragon fire! I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north! [Reveals severe burns on his face] I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon...but he would not listen!
- Other lands are not my concern. The fortunes of the world will rise and fall but here in this kingdom we will endure.
- Had the aim of Men been true that day, much would have been different.
- We are the Dwarves of Erebor. We have come to reclaim our homeland.
- If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together!
- [Taunting Smaug] I do not think to see you so easily outwitted! You have grown slow and fat in your dotage...slug!
- I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar.
- i can not risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf.... not even my own Kin "
Bard the BowmanEdit
- If you awaken that beast, you'll destroy us all!
- The Lord of Silver Fountains. The King of Carven Stone. The King Beneath the Mountain. Shall come into his own. And the bells shall ring in gladness, at the Mountain King's return. But all shall fail in sadness, and the Lake will shine and burn.
- All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm? And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a Mountain King, so riven by greed, he cannot see beyond his own desire!
- [when Bofur, Oin, Fili and Kili show up at his home] No. I'm done with dwarves. Go away!
- It never ceases to amaze me: the courage of Hobbits...
- Bilbo? If there is indeed a live dragon down there... don't waken it.
- I am fire.. I am death!
- My teeth are swords! My claws are spears! My wings are a hurricane!
- Well, thief. I smell you. I hear your breath. I feel your air. Where are you? Where are you? Come now. Don't be shy. Step into the light.
- I know the smell and taste of dwarf, no one better! It is the gold! They are drawn to treasure like flies to dead flesh!
- The Darkness is coming. It will spread to every corner of the land.
- YOU! WILL! BURN!
- The King Under the Mountain is dead! I took his throne! I ate his people like a wolf among sheep! I kill where I wish, when I wish! My armour is iron! NO BLADE CAN PIERCE ME!
- You have nice manners for a thief... and a LIAR!
- I laid low your warriors of old. I instill terror in the hearts of men. I am King under the Mountain!
- I am almost tempted to let you take it, if only to see Oakenshield suffer. Watch it destroy him. Watch it corrupt his heart and drive him mad. But I think not. I think our little game ends here. So tell me, thief - how do you choose to die?
- Tell me, Mellon, when did we allow evil to become stronger than us?
- You like killing things, Orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you!
- There is no light, Wizard... that can defeat darkness.
Saruman The White [Extended]Edit
- [Radagast approaches Saruman and tells him of Gandalf]: The fool.
- [Azog approaches a ledge next to a large crevice in Dol Guldur. The Necromancer appears, and the two converse in the Black Speech]
- Necromancer: We grow in number. We grow in strength. You will lead my armies.
- Azog: What of Oakenshield?
- Necromancer: War is coming.
- Azog: You promised me his head!
- Necromancer: Death will come to all!
- Beorn: So you are the one they call Oakenshield? Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?
- Thorin: You know of Azog? How?
- Beorn: My people were the first to live in the mountains. Before the Orcs came down from the North. The Defiler killed most of my family. But some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him.
- Bilbo: There are others like you?
- Beorn: Once there were many.
- Bilbo: And now?
- Beorn: Now there is only one. You need to reach to reach the Mountain before the last days of autumn.
- Gandalf: Before Durin's Day falls, yes.
- Beorn: You're running out of time.
- Gandalf: Which is why we must go through Mirkwood.
- Beorn: A darkness lies upon that forest. Fell things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and a Necromancer in Dol Guldur. I would not venture there, except in great need.
- Gandalf: We will take the Elven road. That path is still safe.
- Beorn: Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise, and more dangerous. But it matters not.
- Thorin: What do you mean?
- Beorn: These lands are crawling with Orcs. Their numbers are growing. And you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive. I don't like Dwarves. They're greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own. But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?
- Gandalf: You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire.
- Bilbo: I was going to tell you. I... found something in the Goblin tunnels.
- Gandalf: Found what? What did you find?
- Bilbo: [almost tells Gandalf about the Ring] ... My courage.
- Gandalf: Good! Well, that's good. You'll need it.
- Giant Spider: [about to eat a captured Dwarf] Fat and juicy! Just a little taste...
- [Bilbo cuts the spider from behind with his sword]
- Giant Spider: [can't see Bilbo, who's wearing the Ring] Aahh!! Curse it! Where is it, where is it?!
- Bilbo: [removes the Ring, making him visible] Here. [runs the spider through]
- Giant Spider: It stings! Stings!
- [Bilbo withdraws his sword, and the spider falls dead to the forest floor]
- Bilbo: [holds up his sword] Sting, that's a good name. Sting.
- Gloin [Legolas has confiscated a locket from him.] Hey, give that back. That's private!
- Legolas: [looking at the picture on the left, of a dwarf with a long, thick beard] Who is this? Your brother?
- Gloin: [indignant] That is my wife!
- Legolas: [looking at the infant in the other picture] And what is this horrid creature? A Goblin mutant?
- Gloin: That's my wee lad, Gimli!
- Kili: Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers.
- Tauriel: Or nothing.
- Bofur: [after climbing into the empty barrels] What do we do now?
- Bilbo: Hold your breath.
- Bofur: Hold me breath...?
- [Bilbo opens a trap-door, sending the barrels rolling down a ramp into the river.]
- [Gandalf and Radagast are examining an empty tomb in Rhuduar]
- Radgast: These are dark spells, old and full of hate. Who's buried here?
- Gandalf: If he had a name, it's long since been lost. He would be remembered as a servant of evil. One of a number. [gestures to the eight other empty tombs] One of Nine.
- [Gandalf has realized that Thorin's company is at risk]
- Gandalf: I cannot forsake them! They are in grave danger.
- Radagast: Gandalf, if what you're saying is true, the world is in grave danger
- [Thranduil has just beheaded an Orc he and Legolas were interrogating]
- Legolas: Why did you do that? You promised to set him free.
- Thranduil: And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders.
- Legolas: There was more the Orc could tell us.
- Thranduil: There was no more he could tell me.
- Radagast: Wait, Gandalf, what if it's a trap?
- Gandalf: Turn around, and don't come back. [Radagast leaves] It's undoubtedly a trap.
- [Gandalf draws his sword and enters Dol Goldur, alone.]
- Gandalf: [Quenya] The evil that is hidden here.... I command it to come forth! I command it reveal itself!
- [Gandalf slams his staff into the ground and sends a light out. Further into Dol Guldur, the Orcs hear Gandal's incantation]
- Azog: The Wizard has come.
- Orc Lieutenant: He is lifting the spell...he will find us!
- Azog: [grinning] Yes...he will.
- [As Gandalf casts his spell again, it reveals Azog, who with a roar smashes Gandalf to the floor with his mace. Gandalf lies stunned as Azog cackles cruelly]
- Azog: [mocking] You have come too late, Wizard! It is done! [Azog moves to deal the deathblow, but at the last, Gandalf uses a spell to keep the Orcs at bay]
- Gandalf: Where is your master?! [Azog roars in frustration, but Gandalf's spell stops him attacking] WHERE IS HE?!
- Azog: He is everywhere...we are legion!
- Legolas: It is not our fight.
- Tauriel: It is our fight. It will not end here. With every victory, this evil will grow! If your father has his way, we will do nothing. We will hide with in our walls, live our lives without light and let darkness descend. Are we not part of this world? Tell me, Mellon, when did we allow evil to become stronger than us?
- Sigrid: Da, why are there dwarfs coming out of our toilet?
- Tilda: Will they bring us luck?
- Bard the Bowman: (About Thorin and the Mountain) Listen to Me! Everyone, you must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who have died in the firestorm? For what purpose? The blind ambition of a Mountain King, so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!
- Master of Lake-Town: No, no! We must, not anyone be to fit to lay blame. Let us not forget, that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!
- Bard the Bowman: You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!
- Thorin: I have the only right.
- Bilbo: [observes the carving that held the Arkenstone] What is that?
- Balin: That is the Arkenstone.
- Bilbo: And what is it?
- Thorin: That, Master Burglar, is why you are here.
- Balin: In truth, lad, I do not know what you will find down there. You don't have to go if you don't want to. There's no dishonour in turning back...
- Bilbo: No... no, Balin, I promised that I would do this, and I think that I must try.
- Balin: (chuckles) It never ceases to amaze me.
- Bilbo: What's that?
- Balin: The courage of hobbits.
- Smaug: There is something about you. Something you carry, something made of gold... but far more precious...
- [Bilbo is assaulted by Sauron's eye and pulls off the Ring]
- Smaug: [sees him] There you are, Thief in the Shadows!
- Bilbo: I did not come to steal from you, O Smaug the Unassessably Wealthy. I merely wanted to gaze upon your magnificence. To see if you really were as great as the old tales say. I did not believe them.
- Smaug: [Draws himself up from the hoard and poses impressively] And do you NOW?!
- Bilbo: Truly, the tales and songs fall utterly short of your enormity, O Smaug, the Stupendous.
- Smaug: Do you think flattery will keep you alive?
- Bilbo: N...no.
- Smaug: No indeed. You seem familiar with my name, but I don't remember smelling your kind before. Who are you and where do you come from, may I ask?
- Bilbo: [sees the Arkenstone; tries to distract Smaug] I... I come from under the hill.
- Smaug: "Under hill"?
- Bilbo: [nods nervously] And under hills and over hills my path has led... and through the air! I am he who walks unseen.
- Smaug: [drawing close] Impressive. What else do you claim to be?
- Bilbo: I-I am... Luck-wearer. Riddle-maker.
- Smaug: Lovely titles. Go on.
- Bilbo: Barrel-rider.
- Smaug: "Barrel"? Now that is interesting! And what about your little dwarf friends? Where are they hiding?
- Bilbo: [feigning confusion] D... Dwarves? No. No, no dwarves here, you've got that all wrong--
- Smaug: Oh, I don't think so, Barrel-rider! They sent you in here to do their dirty work, while they skulk about outside!
- Bilbo: Truly you are mistaken, O Smaug, Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities.
- Smaug: You have nice manners, for a thief and a LIAR! I know the smell and taste of dwarf, no one better! It is the gold! They are drawn to treasure like flies to dead flesh!
- [Bilbo tries to grab the Arkenstone, but Smaug knocks it away and begins chasing Bilbo]
- Smaug: Did you think I did not know this day would come?! That a pack of canting dwarves would come crawling back to the mountain?!
- [As Smaug knocks over pillars, the dwarves outside hear the noise]
- Dori: Was that an earthquake?
- Balin: That, my lad... was a dragon.
- Ori: [sees a red glow from the cave] What about Bilbo?
- Thorin: Give him more time.
- Balin: Time to do what? To be killed?!
- Thorin: You are afraid?
- Balin: Yes! I'm afraid. I fear for you. A sickness lies upon that treasure horde, a sickness which drove your grandfather mad.
- Thorin: I am not my grandfather.
- Balin: You're not yourself! The Thorin I know would not hesitate–
- Thorin: I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar.
- Balin: Bilbo. His name is Bilbo!
- Smaug: It's Oakenshield! That filthy dwarfish usurper! He sent you in here for the Arkenstone, didn't he?!
- Bilbo: No! No, no, I don't know what you're talking about!
- Smaug: Don't bother denying it! I guessed his foul purpose sometime ago. But it matters not. Oakenshield's quest will fail. The Darkness is coming. It will spread to every corner of the land.
- Smaug: You are being used, Thief in the Shadows. You were only ever a means to an end. The coward Oakenshield has weighed the value of your life and found it worth nothing!
- Bilbo: No... no, you're lying!
- Smaug: What did he promise you? A share of the treasure? As if it was his to give! I will not part with a single coin! Not one piece of it! My teeth are swords! My claws are spears! My wings are a hurricane!
- [Bilbo looks up and sees one of Smaug's scales missing]
- Bilbo: [whispers] So it is true. The Black Arrow found it's mark.
- Smaug: [hears him] What did you say?!
- Bilbo: [stammers] I-I was just saying, your reputation precedes you, O Smaug the Tyrannical. Truly, you have no equal on this earth! [Bilbo looks down to see the Arkenstone lying near his feet]
- Smaug: I am almost tempted to let you take it, if only to see Oakenshield suffer. Watch it destroy him. Watch it corrupt his heart and drive him mad. But I think not. I think our little game ends here. So tell me, thief... how do you choose to die?
- [Smaug prepares to breathe fire, but Bilbo puts the Ring on his finger and slips away, invisible, as Smaug breathes fire]
- Kili: Tauriel...
- Tauriel: Lie still.
- Kili: You cannot be her. She is far away. She... she is far, far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world. It was just a dream. [holds her hand] Do you think she could have loved me?
- [last lines]
- Smaug: You think you can deceive me, Barrel-rider?! You have come from Lake Town! This is some sordid scheme hatched between these filthy dwarves and those miserable tub-trading Lake-men. Those sniveling cowards with their Longbows and Black Arrows! Perhaps it is time I paid them a visit!
- Bilbo: Oh no... This isn't their fault! WAIT! You cannot go to Lake Town!
- Smaug: You care about them, do you? Good. Then you can watch them DIE!
- [Smaug turns to leave, but stops when he hears Thorin shouting]
- Thorin: HERE, YOU WITLESS WORM!
- Smaug: [snarling; his eyes narrow angrily] You...!
- Thorin: I am taking back what you stole!
- Smaug: You will take nothing from me, Dwarf. I laid low your warriors of old. I instill terror in the hearts of men. I am King under the Mountain!
- Thorin: This is not your kingdom! These are Dwarf lands! This is Dwarf gold! And we will have our revenge!
- [The dwarves pull the chains, the cover falls off revealing a golden statue of Thror. Bilbo stares. Smaug gazes at it. The gold melts and covers Smaug completely. A few moments later, Smaug bursts out from the molten gold, furious]
- Smaug: Revenge?! Revenge?! I will show you REVENGE!
- [Smaug breaks through the mountain entrance and takes flight to Lake Town. The people of Lake Town see a light in the sky and panic. Bard looks from the bars in his cell. Fili, Kili, Oin, Bofur, Bain, Sigrid, Tilda, and Tauriel hear the sound. At the kingdom, Bilbo hurries and sees Smaug flying toward Lake Town]
- Bard: [to the guards] Listen to me! Do you not know what is coming?!
- Smaug: I am fire! I am... DEATH! [Smaug flies closer to Lake-Town as Bilbo watches in horror]
- Bilbo: What have we done?
- Bilbo: [[after Thorin tries to shoot a white stag and missed] You shouldn’t have done that. It’s bad luck.
- Thorin: I don’t believe in luck. We make our own luck.
[After Bard frees the dwarves and Bilbo from the barrels, they head toward Bard’s home.]
- Bilbo: What is this place?
- Thorin: This, Master Baggins, is the world of Men.
[dwarves and Bilbo climbing the Lonely Mountain, and arriving at Dale. A thrush flies by them.]
- Bilbo: So quiet.
- Balin: Wasn’t always like this. Once, these slopes were lined with woodlands. The trees were filled with birdsong.
- Oh, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers' souls.
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke
Keep watching over Durin's sons.
If this is to end in fire
We should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high, into the night.
Calling out father, oh
Stand by and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The Mountain side.
And if we should die tonight
Then we should all die together.
Raise a glass of wine
for the last time.
Calling out father, oh
Prepare as we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The Mountain side.
Desolation comes upon the sky
Now I see fire, inside the mountain
I see fire, burning the trees
And I see fire, hallowing souls
I see fire, blood in the breeze
And I hope that you'll remember me...
- Beyond darkness... beyond desolation... lies the greatest danger of all.
- The Official Hobbit Site
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) // Quotes