The Fly is a 1986 horror film about a scientist who, while testing his teleportation machine, accidentally fuses with a fly on a molecular level. At first he seemed to have been given super strength, but soon his insect persona takes over to the horror of his reporter girlfriend.
- Directed by David Cronenberg. Written by Charles Edward Pogue and David Cronenberg, based on the short story by George Langelaan.
- [To Veronica] I will say now, however subjectively, that human teleportation, molecular decimation, breakdown and reformation is inherently purging. It makes a man a king. From the moment I walked out of the pod, I felt like a million bucks.
- [To Veronica] You're afraid to dive into the plasma pool, aren't you? You're afraid to be destroyed and recreated, aren't you? I'll bet you think that you woke me up about the flesh, don't you? But you only know society's straight line about the flesh. You can't penetrate beyond society's sick, gray, fear of the flesh. Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring, see what I'm saying? And I'm not just talking about sex and penetration, I'm talking about penetration beyond the veil of the flesh! A deep, penetrating dive into the plasma pool!
- [To Veronica] I was not pure. The teleporter insists on inner purity; I was not pure. A fly...got into the transmitter pod with me that first time when I was alone. The computer got...confused, there weren't supposed to be two separate genetic patterns, and it decided to, erm...splice us together. It mated us, me and the fly. We hadn't even been properly introduced. [Smiles] My...teleporter turned into a gene-splicer. And a very good one. Now I'm not Seth Brundle any more. I'm the offspring of...Brundle and housefly.
- [After sending a baboon through the telepods, only to have it emerge as a bloody, malformed mess]
- Veronica: [recording him with a camera] We've gotta do this, Seth. Talk to the tape. Get in the habit. The world will want to know what you're thinking--
- Seth: "FUCK" is what I'm thinking!
- Veronica: Good... The world will want to know that... What else? Why didn't it work.
- Seth: [more calmly] I think it turned the baboon inside-out.
- Veronica: Why?
- Seth: It can't cope with the flesh. It only seems to work on inanimate objects; nothing that's living.
- Veronica: Why?
- Seth: Computers are dumb. They only know what you tell them. I must not know enough about the flesh myself. I'm gonna have to learn. [is silent for a moment] I don't wanna talk now.
- [Ronnie turns off the camera and sadly watches him leave]
- Seth: Listen. I want you to go through. I want to teleport you. As soon as possible, right now! You'll feel incredible, Ronnie! I hardly need to sleep any more, I feel wonderful! It's like a drug, but a perfectly pure and benign drug! The power I feel surging inside me...! And I won't be able to wear you out! We'll be the perfect couple, the dynamic duo! Come on, right now!
- Veronica: Hey, wait! Don't give me that "born-again teleportation" rap! I told you I was scared to do it. What do I have to say?! I'M NOT GOING TO DO IT!
- Seth: You're a FUCKING DRAG, you know that?!
- Veronica: Something went wrong, Seth. When you went through, something went wrong.
- Veronica: Those weird hairs growing out of your back, I took them to a lab. I had them analyzed.
- Seth: The hairs? The hairs? Oh. Yeah, that’s a strange thing to do.
- Veronica: Not as strange as the results. The guy at the lab had trouble identifying them. He finally came to the conclusion that they were definitely not human.
- Seth: Oh, very good.
- Veronica: Not human, Seth. In fact, very likely insect hairs.
- Seth: [scared; in denial] That's silly, that's ridiculous--
- Veronica: Look, now there's more. Look at your face... Something happened when you went through, Seth. You've got to get some help, I think you must be sick--
- Seth: [exploding] YOU'RE JEALOUS!! I've become free, I've been released and you can't stand it! You'll do anything to bring me down! Come here, does this look sick? Does this look like a sick man to you?
- [Seth starts punching and denting the wall with his bare hands]
- Veronica: No, stop it!
- Seth: Know any sick man who can do that?!
- [At Brundle's lab, Veronica finds him scaling the walls]
- Seth: I seem to be stricken by a disease with a purpose, wouldn't you say? Maybe not such a bad disease after all.
- Veronica: I can't stay here.
- Seth: [jumps onto floor]: No, no, no! Why not? Why can't you?
- Veronica: I can't take it ... It's too much.
- Seth: What's there to take? The disease has just revealed its purpose. We don't have to worry about contagion any more, I know what the disease wants.
- Veronica: What does the disease want?
- Seth: It wants to...turn me into something else. That's not too terrible, is it? Most people would give anything to be turned into something else.
- Veronica: Turned into what?
- Seth: What do you think, a fly? Am I becoming a hundred-and-eighty-five pound fly? No, I'm becoming something that's never existed before. I'm becoming... Brundlefly. Don't you think that's worth a Nobel Prize or two?
- Seth: You have to leave now, and never come back here. Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I. Insects don't have politics. They're very brutal. No compassion, no compromise. We can't trust the insect. I'd like to become the first insect politician. Y'see, I'd like to, but...I'm afraid...[groans]
- Veronica: I don't know what you're trying to say!
- Seth: I'm saying...I'm saying I-I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over...and the insect is awake.
- Veronica: No, no, Seth...
- Seth: I'm saying...I'll hurt you if you stay.
- Seth: Help me. Help me be human.
- Veronica: How?
- Seth: [indicating the appropriate telepods] Well, I go there, and you go there. We come apart, and then we come together there. You, me and the baby. Together. [starts the countdown]
- Veronica: No...
- Seth: We'll be the ultimate family. A family of three, joined together in one body. More human than I am alone.
- Veronica: No!!
- Be afraid. Be very afraid.
- Half man, half insect... total terror.
- Something went wrong in the lab today. Something very wrong.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language