The Doctor is a 1991 American drama film directed by Randa Haines and starring William Hurt as a doctor who undergoes a transformation in his views about life, illness and human relationships. It is loosely based on the book A Taste Of My Own Medicine.
- I've always wanted to slit your throat, and now I get a chance to.
- I pray. I meditate. I eat chocolate. I dance.
- [regarding Dr. Blumfield, who believes unconscious patients can still hear] Where E.N.T. meets E.S.P.!
- [to Dr. MacKee] I am the doctor and you are the patient and I am telling you when I am available.
- If I ever hear you describe a patient as "terminal" again, that's how you'll describe your career!
- June: [suffering from an inoperable brain tumor] My tumor, I see it giving me certain freedoms I never allowed myself.
- Dr. MacKee: Yeah, like being incredibly hostile?
- June: Like being honest and expecting people around me to do the same.
- An Uplifting Story About Finding New Meaning In Life.
- He was a doctor who thought he knew it all... until he became a patient.