- Newland, you couldn't be happy if it meant being cruel. If we act any other way, I'll be making you act against what I love in you most. And I can't go back to that way of thinking. Don't you see! I can't love you unless I give you up.
- How can we be happy behind the backs of people who trust us?
- Ellen Olenska: I think we should look at reality, not dreams.
- Newland Archer: I just want us to be together!
- Ellen Olenska: I can't be your wife, Newland! Is it your idea that I should live with you as a mistress?
- Newland Archer: I want... Somehow, I want to get away with you... and... and find a world where words like that don't exist!
- Ellen Olenska: I knew you'd come.
- Newland Archer: That shows you wanted me to.
- Newland Archer: Honest? Isn't that why you admire Julius Beauford? He was more honest than the rest of us, wasn't he, we've got no character, no color, no variety. I wonder why you just don't go back to Europe.
- Ellen Olenska: I believe that's because of you.
- Newland Archer: You gave me my first glimpse of a real life. Then you asked me to go on with the false one. No one can endure it.
- Ellen Olenska: I'm enduring it.
- Ellen Olenska: Is New York such a labyrinth? I thought it was all straight up and down like Fifth Avenue. All the cross streets numbered and big honest labels on everything.
- Newland Archer: Everything is labeled, but everybody is not.
- Ellen Olenska: Then I must count on you for warnings too.
- Ellen Olenska: Is fashion such a serious consideration?
- Newland Archer: Among those who have nothing more serious to consider.
- Newland Archer: We should travel everywhere.
- Louisa van der Luyden: But not Naples. Doctor Bencomb says there is fever there.