Last modified on 7 May 2009, at 00:27
Return to "Langston Hughes" page.
- Beauty for some provides escape, who gain a happiness in eyeing the gorgeous buttocks of the ape or Autumn sunsets exquisitely dying.
- Humor is laughing at what you haven't got when you ought to have it.
- Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
- Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you.
- Negroes — Sweet and docile, Meek, humble, and kind: Beware the day — They change their mind.
- We Negro writers, just by being black, have been on the blacklist all our lives ... Censorship for us begins at the color line.
- When peoples care for you and cry for you, they can straighten out your soul.
- No woman can be handsome by the force of features alone, any more that she can be witty by only the help of speech.
- To create a market for your writing you have to be consistent, professional, a continuing writer - not just a one-article or a one-story or a one-book man.